Thump from rear when shifting into drive or on take off..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redirect me if this is the wrong place or if this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find anything... Sometimes, not all of the time, when shifting from park to drive and then accelerating I can hear a small thump from the rear.. It's definitely no transmission issue because it shifts through every gear flawlessly. It almost sounds like u-joints but I checked those and didn't see any excessive play in them. It's intermittent, only upon take off but not every time I take off from a stop. Any ideas or anywhere I can be redirected? :think: Maybe the rear upper ball joint?? That's the next part on my list.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thumping rear was a worn out boomerang. With Jeep in gear and parking brake off, look at the upper control arm while rocking the Jeep forward and back. Mine was so bad, you could see the arm moving up and down separate from the ball joint on the rearend housing.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thumping rear was a worn out boomerang. With Jeep in gear and parking brake off, look at the upper control arm while rocking the Jeep forward and back. Mine was so bad, you could see the arm moving up and down separate from the ball joint on the rearend housing.

See, that's kind of what I was suspecting had to be done.. Was going to have it taken care of last week and now I'm kicking myself in the ass for waiting!

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some googling on this too and apparently according to a lot of people it's a "Jeep thing" :happy175:

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do do not buy the made in CHINA rear boomerang - I went through 2 in less than 1 year, Go with the oem brand or the Taiwan made.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just discovered I have worn out boomerang as well. Can I just replace bushings and ball joint or do I need to purchase new boomerang?

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New boomerang. The metal is thin and deforms pretty badly when pressing out the old bushings and ball joint.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Pressing" is the key word. If you don't have a hydraulic press, you could try hammering the crap out of the bushings, but then you wind up hammering the crap out of the arm too.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I hammered the old arm out it bent like crazy. Took about a half hour of cussing and a 3lb splaner to get it loose it was so rusted in.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to just replace the whole arm... I would love a 3 link set up if I could find it... No since in replacing the ball joint alone when you can get a whole NEW arm with the ball joint and bushing for not much more.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere on here I have a post from when I replaced mine, with a source that had a pretty damn good price on an OEM boomerang.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Crown upper control arm? Are they good quality?

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a replacement boomerang on justforjeeps.com their customer service was great and its been almost a year with no issues at all. I do believe it was a
oem replacement