Throwin Codes left n right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarLee

Just A Jeep Gal
Reaction score
So my 2002 jeep liberty limited sat for 2 years before i bought it. it was garage kept. i bought it for 1000$ so im not upset with everything that is wrong with it but i cant quite figure out why it keeps throwin codes. first it started with the coils. 4 diff coils went out. i bought all new injectors, coiks and spark plugs. went ahead tore everything down and replaced it all. cleaned the throttle body and put everything new on. when i reconnected the battery all my codes were cleared. I drove it home from the shop and it ran like a BRAND NEW JEEP!!! it was GREAT!!! the next morning i get in and start it to head into work and my engine light comes on. i got to work turned the key on and off 3 times and there was 5 different codes that popped up. p0202 p0206 p0172 p0175 p0158. im aware that the 0202 and 0206 are the injectors malfunctioning. i plan to fix those today. the other 3 are from the MAP sensor and a bad 02 sensor. what i dont understand is how they werent throwing codes before. my jeep keeps dying while driving down the road and if i give it some gas its blowing allot of carbon build up out of my exhaust and it smells HORRIBLE!!!! should i buy new sensors???? i thought maybe it was just due to unplugging everything and confusing the pcm. or could they be bad due to carbon build up?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With how long it sat I hope you're not running it on the gas that sat with it. If so that could be at least part of the problem

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Bad O2 sensor on my Ford had me pulled over belching black and thinking about a tow truck. Same but different but same...

CarLee

Just A Jeep Gal
Reaction score
no its been drove for about a month now overall off and on its probably had at least 4 full tanks of gas drove through it by now. but when i do drive it it does smell horrible. it smells like bad gas.

CarLee

Just A Jeep Gal
Reaction score
Bad O2 sensor on my Ford had me pulled over belching black and thinking about a tow truck. Same but different but same...
It has died 2x on me now while driving. but i just get to a stopping point put it in park and it starts right back up and drives fine again. just smells like bad gasoline. like the motor isnt rlly running rough or anything its just random times it throws a fit and doesnt act like its getting fuel it wont take off but then i will not floor it but push the gas down more than i usually would when i first take off, it willl go just random fits

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you run any injector cleaners or things like dry gas in it since first gassing it up?

I inherited a Oldsmobile that sat in a garage for a few years and my mechanic drained the tank, then used it as a pick up car for a few days before doing any work so that all the crap was blown out, but she was a carbed car.

Can you let it sit and try to drain some gas from the tank to see if it's coming out clean?

CarLee

Just A Jeep Gal
Reaction score
Haven’t tried to drain the tank. Is there and easier way to drain the tank other than dropping it? Or to see if maybe there is trash in it other than dropping the whole tank?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
There is an enzyme additive that will really help to restore old fuel, wallmart may have it.
Starbrite "StarTron"
You must be registered for see images attach

For fuel injector cleaner use this, also at wallmart.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online