Throttle by Wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjman2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've really noticed that my 07's throttle does some weird things, since it has an electronically controlled throttle. The throttle response is really weird, and flooring it makes the ****** kinda jump around. What are some of your thoughts about having this new kind of throttle? Does anybody have any suggestions about how to get better response?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're all electronically controlled, by the TPS. What do you mean by electronically controlled?
'02-'06 KJ's with the 3.7 have a actual cable that connects the butterfly in the throttle body to the gas pedal in the cabin,the '07+ KJ/KK do not have a throttle cable anymore,it's just wires that go to a electric motor that opens/closes the throttle.

Oh by the way the TPS(Throttle Postion Sensor) only reads what postion the throttle is open/closed and is not a electric motor so it can not effect the throttle position at all.The PCM uses the reading from the TPS for timing and fuel delivery.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
'02-'06 KJ's with the 3.7 have a actual cable that connects the butterfly in the throttle body to the gas pedal in the cabin,the '07+ KJ/KK do not have a throttle cable anymore,it's just wires that go to a electric motor that opens/closes the throttle.

Wow, can't they just leave stuff alone? That doesn't seem to practical, as it does not have the speed your foot has. I don't see good response time with that kind of setup. I see all kinds of problems with this getup, I don't like it at all, and are glag I did not get a 2007 or the newer ones.

Fact is, if the Liberty was not shared with the Nitro, I would have gotten one.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, can't they just leave stuff alone? That doesn't seem to practical, as it does not have the speed your foot has. I don't see good response time with that kind of setup. I see all kinds of problems with this getup, I don't like it at all, and are glag I did not get a 2007 or the newer ones.

Fact is, if the Liberty was not shared with the Nitro, I would have gotten one.
About half or better of the newer vehicles since '05+,and more added every year,are drive by wire now.Also since the trend to have ESP on all vehicles(some law now?) having throttle by wire makes it easier for the ESP to overcome the driver inputs and cut the engine RPM's.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The KJ Liberty doesn't have very good programming for the drive by wire program...

The KK however *does*. The Liberty CRD did as well. It's pretty much instant with those two.

I'm not sure why the 3.7L KJ's TBW is so slow...

kjman2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that if I'm coasting down the street in the neighborhood at about 25, I can quickly tap/pump the accelerator petal all the way to the floor, and if I do it quick enough, the RPM's never even change. Hahaha and don't even think about attempting to lay down a patch at a stop light... I really wish it didn't take a half of a second for my foot action to be transmitted to the throttle.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Now that I've thought about it...

The Liberty CRD, and KK both have one thing in common......

CANBUS... (Well, a hybrid of sorts in the KJCRD) The KJ Liberty (3.7, 2.4) operate on a J1850 bus. Which is slow. Very slow.

I wonder if that could be the issue?

BoyNamedSue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually had to return my 2007 Liberty because the "drive by wire" combined with a "manual" transmission was just a nightmare. Screwed up all of the timing you need when driving a manual. I'd shift and press the pedal, and nothing would happen, then all of a sudden it would kick in, and when I'd turn a corner I'd let up a little on the pedal and then press it back down and nothing would happen..............then a second or two later it would kick in. I was jumping and lurching all over the place.

I ended up getting an automatic, and I still notice the delay with the drive-by-wire, but it's not as big of a deal since I don't require perfect timing anymore. I sure do miss shifting though. I'm going back to a manual transmission next vehicle I get.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
All my Land Rover Discoveries have been fly by wire. Never had an issue. They were instantly responsive.
Not sure why the issue with the Jeep stuff

kjman2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually had to return my 2007 Liberty because the "drive by wire" combined with a "manual" transmission was just a nightmare. Screwed up all of the timing you need when driving a manual. I'd shift and press the pedal, and nothing would happen, then all of a sudden it would kick in, and when I'd turn a corner I'd let up a little on the pedal and then press it back down and nothing would happen..............then a second or two later it would kick in. I was jumping and lurching all over the place.

I ended up getting an automatic, and I still notice the delay with the drive-by-wire, but it's not as big of a deal since I don't require perfect timing anymore. I sure do miss shifting though. I'm going back to a manual transmission next vehicle I get.

Yeah I've never even thought about that. Wow that's terrible. I don't see why they messed that up so much, because I really don't think Jeep really went wrong anywhere else on the KJ.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm keeping my 05 With "the drive by foot" technology until the plastic fenders rust off........ :D

And I think the next Jeep I will get will be a TJ to keep the KJ company. I need to go backwards in technology and topless now......haha

Dave