threads missing for back screws on engine skid plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GR5000

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Liberty with the Mopar skids (radiator, engine, transmission, xfer case, and gas tank). I recently got back from a offroad / camping trip and inspected my undercarriage to discover that for the engine skid, the back passenger side bolt was missing / the driver's side bolt appeared to be quite loose and chewed up pretty bad. I tried to tighten it but it just spun. I then took off the engine skid plate to look closer at what was going on and the threads for those two rear bolt holes are simply missing.

It's been a few years since I installed these ... but I remember that the cross member had threads that I screwed those bolts into ... I don't remember putting nutzerts there. So I'm guessing that at some point during the trip the pressure the skid plate was under somehow dislodged the threads that were there. I'm not sure.

I did look on the other side of the crossmember ... I think on the passenger side I could drill through it and bolt from the top. But on the driver's side I'm not sure that is possible due to the design. At any rate I thought I'd post to see if anyone else has experienced this and had suggestions for how I can secure the back of the plate (these bolts also hold the front of the transmission skid plate on).

Thanks,

GR

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Liberty with the Mopar skids (radiator, engine, transmission, xfer case, and gas tank). I recently got back from a offroad / camping trip and inspected my undercarriage to discover that for the engine skid, the back passenger side bolt was missing / the driver's side bolt appeared to be quite loose and chewed up pretty bad. I tried to tighten it but it just spun. I then took off the engine skid plate to look closer at what was going on and the threads for those two rear bolt holes are simply missing.

It's been a few years since I installed these ... but I remember that the cross member had threads that I screwed those bolts into ... I don't remember putting nutzerts there. So I'm guessing that at some point during the trip the pressure the skid plate was under somehow dislodged the threads that were there. I'm not sure.

I did look on the other side of the crossmember ... I think on the passenger side I could drill through it and bolt from the top. But on the driver's side I'm not sure that is possible due to the design. At any rate I thought I'd post to see if anyone else has experienced this and had suggestions for how I can secure the back of the plate (these bolts also hold the front of the transmission skid plate on).

Thanks,

GR
Stripped out. it happens. Drill, tap and helicoil.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's like my '05 they're nutzerts. My drivers side popped out many years ago and although a snug fit I was able to run a bolt all the way through the crossmember. Don't be afraid to drill holes in your Jeep that's what makes it yours.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
If it's like my '05 they're nutzerts. My drivers side popped out many years ago and although a snug fit I was able to run a bolt all the way through the crossmember. Don't be afraid to drill holes in your Jeep that's what makes it yours.
Fairly certain 07 and on was a solid tapped hole rather than nutzerts.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fairly certain 07 and on was a solid tapped hole rather than nutzerts.
Even still, the solution might be drill all the way through and put a nut on top. Of course that's easy to say without actually putting eyes on the exact situation.

GR5000

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the replies. I'm not sure drilling through on the drivers side will be possible as there is something coming out of the cross member above the bolt hole there.

I researched the heilcoil and I can see that that looks like it will work. I've never done this before so will probably get help here. But thanks so much for this feedback.

Regards,

GR

kiwi_outdoors

Reaction score
So - what did you do. I have the same situation on my 2011 KK, but its at the rear of the front skid plate.

Latest posts

Members online