Thoughts on Emergency Transponder (if they even exist...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goatkj

Reaction score
All KJ Fans,

Any of you have experience with emergency transponders when you go into the back country, and maybe something goes wrong with the KJ? I can't find anything on the internet.

GPS companies make receiving devices (for location), but nothing to transmit out if there's an issue. Maybe this is where a simple cell phone comes in to play, the equation being: Cell phone + GPS = Safety.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emergency transponder's for vehicles might exist but.....Carry a cell phone and a CB and always have another jeeper and jeep with you. 2 or 3 or more other jeeps/jeepers is better because there's more people and jeeps to pull a stuck jeep out, etc. Never go in the boonies wheeling alone. (of course you should always have tow hooks on your jeep and proper recovery equipment).

Dave

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about purchasing and registering a personal EPIRB before, but their use is intended for coastal areas and other bodies of water. However the system uses satellites to recieve the signal and forward it to the Coast Guard. (i.e. It will be picked up anywhere in the world and if your EPIRB is registered, the Coast Guard will verify your registration information to confirm that a distress situation exists.)

Another option would be ham radio, but for that you need to take a test and obtain a license with the FCC

Yet another option would be a satellite phone that you could purchase or rent.

I personally carry a Binoculars, GPS, CB & FRS and a military compass in the Jeep. I also carry a compass, binoculars, handheld GPS unit, and a GMRS/FRS for hiking (ones that takes disposable batteries) and carry extra batteries.

I have previously carried topomaps for the areas I'm in before GPS was an affordable option

Garmin makes a handheld GPS/GMRS/FRS combo unit that runs on batteries for about $599.00 last time I checked.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You aren't thinking of wheeling alone are you goatkj?
Nobody should ever wheel alone unless of course you're in a familiar area that you can easily walk out of (been there done that :icon_biggrin:).

I've heard of emergency transponders that skiers & snowmobilers in avalanche areas use but I don't know if they work off of satellite or cell systems.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As someone who works in the Aerospace industry I can say that there are several companies out there that make ELTs. The ELTs when turned on transmit signals that are recieved by the SARSAT satellite system. Most transmit on 121.5Mhz, 243.0Mhz and 406.0Mhz which are internationally recognized "Guard" frequencies. Many are hand held but most are built to be installed in an aircraft and are activated automatically when an impact is detected.

I didn't check the links posted but I'll add a few more...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/elt.html

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Aircraft/ELT/Artex.html

and perhaps

http://www.aviationlogs.com/PilotShop/proddetail.asp?prod=E-01

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that can't afford the wonderful satelite comunications gadgets...

I recently found my grand father's emergency kit from back when he used to go hunting. Inside the kit, he had a tracer round for his rifle, I believe these are not legal any more, but, good way to get athorities to come looking for you if you shoot it off in line of sight of approaching aircraft.

The Ham tests are much easier now-a-days, and you can buy radios without a license, at a lot of truck stops (up to you to figure out which of the 400+ channels you need to try).

Another thing that can save your life is a plain old CD... Use it as a mirror to flash sunlight at approaching aircraft.

A fantastic life saver is mounted on your tailgate... If you are really really stranded, maybe even injured... take the spare off, let the air out, try to break the tire away from the bead, apply a flammable liquid, and light it on fire. It will burn for many hours, and it will give off a thick black smoke that can be seen from a long distance (note: don't light it at night, the fire won't be as visible as the smoke).

A lot of the areas I frequent have no cell signal, if I get lucky, I might be able to send a text with one bar of service, or just a 1X signal.

When wheeling alone, tell a friend. family member, or co-worker where you are going, and when you expect to be back, and if you haven't checked in with them by that time, they should be instructed to try to get help headed your way (vitally important during weather extremes).

Always carry either weather proof matches in a sealed container (weatherproofing does wear off from time to time) or one of those magnesium fire starter blocks with a flint strip on the side in case your excursion turns into an unplanned over-night or longer affair. The ability to start a fire might save your life in more than one way.
I like to have a spray can of flamable liquid with me, WD40, Starting fluid, or other (those two are good for getting a water logged carburated engines with a distributor cap started).

I also keep a pair of gloves in the jeep to protect hands from the cold, as well as from slivers if I have to resort to using tree limbs to dig myself out or for a fire.

An emergency blanket which folds up to the size of a small paperback book is another vital thing to have in the winter. if you get wet, you could die in 40 degree weather after too much exposure and hypothermia sets in. wrap yourself up in the emergency blanket. (also handy to have if you come across someone who is in shock from an accident).

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow there have been a lot of useful tips posted. But don't forget the basics though.

If you do a search of the forums I think you'll find a lot of postings on basic survival kits that you should always carry even if all you're doing is a routine trail run.

Such kits would contain a first aid kit, fire extinguisher and toilet paper (for the girls). You never know when you may get a nasty gash or an engine fire.