Those who went from KJ to KK?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those who went from KJ to KK, are you glad that you did it, are you neutral (meaning you could have lived with KJ and KK is just as good/ as bad, etc..) or do you have any regrets/remorse..?

I love the way my KJ rides, and was wondering if people who went from KJ to KK still feel the same sturdy, strong, and in-control with the new jeep?

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Thing is, the 02-07 Liberty was not shared with Dodge or other platform, was it? The KK style is the same as the Dodge Nitro. Then you have the Compass (Caliber) & Patriot (Similar to the Cherokee) share the GS platform (Caliber).

Oh, Ha Ha, the Jeep Patriot is sold in Russia as Jeep Liberty (not to be confused with the North American Jeep Liberty).

Here is the list of 2008 Platform shares for Jeep:
http://db.theautochannel.com/db/JeepReviews/platforms.php

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing is, the 02-07 Liberty was not shared with Dodge or other platform, was it? The KK style is the same as the Dodge Nitro.

O. K. *headscratch* Is that a good thing or a bad thing.. Not sure if I got what you meant. I assume you are trying to put a spin on it that KJ was unique and KK is just ordinary.

I agree that KK is more "generic" as it has much less features that stands out in the crowd and feels boxy. But I don't really care about those, what I wanted to know was the comparison from owners of both vehicles is their opinion.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KK uses the same platform as the KJ. The nitro uses the same platform as the KJ. If youve ever laid under a KJ, nitro, and a KK, its quite obvious.

The only way I would ever buy another liberty is if it had a diesel. In other words, I would never buy anything with the 3.7. I want more torque. :D

ohh, and hyedipin, the KK has a different rear suspension and a slightly different front suspension so it does not ride as 'tight'(stiff) as the kj. Only way to tell if you like it is to test drive it.

Personally I cannot stand the cheapness of the interior on the KK..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KK uses the same platform as the KJ. The nitro uses the same platform as the KJ. If youve ever laid under a KJ, nitro, and a KK, its quite obvious.

The only way I would ever buy another liberty is if it had a diesel. In other words, I would never buy anything with the 3.7. I want more torque. :D

ohh, and hyedipin, the KK has a different rear suspension and a slightly different front suspension so it does not ride as 'tight'(stiff) as the kj. Only way to tell if you like it is to test drive it.

Personally I cannot stand the cheapness of the interior on the KK..
Not ever going to happen unless you buy a '05-'06 CRD,and then you get to deal with the problems they suffer.I've personally driven 3 CRD's,none had near the power my 3.7 has,heck one barely had enough power to drive on the alignment rack under it's own power.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I prefer the KJ's ride. KK rides like a boat to me. Front end is very bouncy. Rear end is more controlled though. KJ interior is better. KK has more usable cargo room. Both have about the same passenger room though. KK's instrument cluster is much easier to read in the day and night time. KK has power window and door lock switches in the correct location. :) KJ ('02-'04) and KK seats are about the same in regards to comfort... KJ's styling isn't generic.

KA (Nitro) *****. :p

To summarize this all up... they're not really all that different.

And that platform sharing list... um, no. But I won't get into that.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree that the KK feels generic. The KJ feels a lot more.....Jeep like. I've never test driven one, but sat in pleny. The only thing I'd even consider trading in the KJ for is JK. Though I would be willing to give the KK's another look if they put the 4.0l from the Nitro R/T in.

mharrold

Reaction score
I have an '03 KJ and an '08 KK.
The '03 does feel more Jeepish but the '08 is far more comfortable and smooth. The skyslider might make me a bit biased.

Oil changes on the '03 are far easier with that little funnel thing below the filter. Don't know why they didn't keep that for new model.

They each have their own personality and I enjoy both equally but for different reasons.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though I would be willing to give the KK's another look if they put the 4.0l from the Nitro R/T in.

That's pretty much my stand. I sure wish there was another 30-40 lb-ft on tap in my jeep for when i'm towing.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there increase risk of roll over that's due to softer ride/shocks and less control? I always loved the stiff steering in KJ and responsiveness. Even though I tested KK last year it was too short of a ride to tell.

airbornekk08

Reaction score
My wife an I bought a '03 new and we loved it.

I have always loved Jeep. I respect the badge and I trust the brand. I have owned more Jeeps that any other make of car, combined.

However-

In 2008 we traded up (?) to the '08 version, the one we're currently driving and my wife is o.k. with it.

I do not like it.

First and foremost, there was a factory defect with the sunroof. The 'gutters' were installed improperly and our headliner was constantly soaked (once it thawed.) That took three trips to the dealer to get that straight.

While fixing that, there was a factory recall on the amp in the rear which took another couple times to fix.

The center console has no tether and if you're not careful, it'll flop back over backwards and eventually will tear the rubberized cover on the top.

There is poor foot room for the driver and no leg/knee room for the front passenger.

My E brake still will not hold on a hill and the vehicle basically rests on the ******. Speaking or ******, there is some serious hesitation going into gear about every other time it's shifted from 'R' to 'D'. I'll have to get this looked at as soon as I get another 'A-B' car.

On cold days, there is a serious draft from the driver's door down in the foot well.

I'm not sure about this one, one way or the other however the ride feels real soft, perhaps from the four link in the rear - not stiff and responsive like I prefer a four wheen drive SUV to feel. I know our '03 KJ was responsive as hell and the steering felt tight. My '08 feels a little goofy.

Dealership wise, everytime we took it in, there was sometihng else wrong with it due to the dealership's workmanship. One time they cracked the interior molding in the rear after trying to pull the piece loose, perhaps with a screw or two still set in. Glue strands were drizzled across or carpet in the rear after the amp repairs. dirty pants slid across our leather seats each time it was in for a fix, and the center console was grubbed up pretty bad. The las ttime, we got it back, albeit fixed, but the headliner stains weren't even attempted a cleaning.

Maybe I'm just over sensitive from past experiences, but That's what I can gather off the top of my head.

Things I DO like - The look is starting to grow on me. Gas mileage is good for a boxy SUV. I like that I can fit my two boys (in car seats) and my dog with a dbl jogging stroller in the roof basket or 4 bikes in a hitch carrier and go somewhere. Basically, I don't think of it as a Jeep anymore, simply, just another car; And that breaks my heart.

Just my input - take it with the grain of salt...

Last edited:

airbornekk08

Reaction score
My wife an I bought a '03 new and we loved it.

I have always loved Jeep. I respect the badge and I trust the brand. I have owned more Jeeps that anyother car make, combined.

However-

In 2008 we traded up (?) to the '08 version, the one we're currently driving and my wife is o.k. with it.

I do not like it.

First and foremost, there was a factory defect with the sunroof. The 'gutters' were installed improperly and our headliner was constantly soaked (once it thawed.) That took three trips to the dealer to get that striaght.

While fixing that, there was a factory recall on the amp in the rear which took another couple times to fix.

The center console has no tether and if you're not careful, it'll flop back over backwards and eventually will tear the rubberized cover on the top.

There is poor foot room for the driver and no leg/knee room for the front passenger.

My E brake still will not hold on a hill and vehicle basicaly rests on the ******. Speaking or ******, there is some serious hesitation going into gear about every other time it's shifted from 'R' to 'D'. I'll have to get this looked at as soon as I get another 'A-B' car.

On cold days, there is a serious draft from the driver's door down in the foot well.

I'm not sure about this one, one way or the other however the ride feels real soft, perhaps from the four link in the rear - not stiff and responsive like I prefer a four wheen drive SUV to feel. I know our '03 KJ was responsive as hell and the steering felt tight. My '08 feels a little goofy.

Dealership wise, everytime we took it in, there was sometihng else wrong with it due to the dealership's workmanship. One time they cracked the interior molding in the rear after trying to pull the piece loose, perhaps with a screw or two still set in. Glue strands were drizzled across or carpet in the rear after the amp repairs. dirty pants slid across our leather seats each time it was in for a fix, and the center console was grubbed up pretty bad. The las ttime, we got it back, albeit fixed, but the headliner stains weren't even attempted a cleaning.

Maybe I'm just over sensitive from past experiences, but That's what I can gather off the top of my head.

Things I DO like - The look is starting to grow on me. Gas mileage is good for a boxy SUV. I like that I can fit my two boys (in car seats) and my dog with a dbl jogging stroller in the roof basket or 4 bikes in a hitch carrier and go somewhere. Basically, I don't think of it as a Jeep anymore, simply, just another car; And that breaks my heart.

Just my input - take it with the grain of salt...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically, I don't think of it as a Jeep anymore, simply, just another car; And that breaks my heart.

Thanks for the vivid input, it's nice to get this much detail. You are not over sensitive, you just did not expect any one of those from a vehicle made in 2008 with all the advances in technology and craftsmanship that Chrysler should have achieved in 5 years and improved on a Liberty. I would probably feel the same way.

Although, It is possible that most of those issues were fixed in 09.

1quick1

Reaction score
I had an 05 and now the 09. To me the 09 feels much, much better. It just feels more durable and it rides awesome. Also to me the 09 is leap years beyond the 05 in the looks department.

cvt8474

Reaction score
Wasn't the suspenson tweaked on the 09?

Yes the suspension was changed in '09. I had a early production '08 and it drives entirely different from my '09. My brother could even tell the difference in the passenger seat.

1quick1

Reaction score
Yes the suspension was changed in '09. I had a early production '08 and it drives entirely different from my '09. My brother could even tell the difference in the passenger seat.

What kind of differences?

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was not a huge fan of the KJ. I just don't like the way that they look. The only KJ that I really like, and would love to own one, is the 2.8L CRD Limited.

I went from a 2007 Patriot to a 2008 Liberty, and I can tell you I like my new Liberty 10X better than the Patriot. I think that they did a great job with the KK. I really like the way it looks, and it can get me to a lot more places than my old Pat ever could off road.

That sounds like a poor excuse for a dealership. With those experiences, if it is practical for where you live, it is time to find a new place to get your vehicle serviced. Broken trim, stains, and glue on the carpet would have me extremely angry.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.