This may be the end for my Libby :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, got a 05 jeep liberty sport 3.7l, been having a loud squeak/whine coming from the transmission for about a week now...took it to the shop yesterday and he says it could be transmission pump or torque converter, but that he is stumped because its shifts perfectly fine, the fluid is perfect and the squeak goes away in reverse and drive (although the squeak will return when driving a bit) and the squeak will sometimes go away while in park. He says we would just be throwing money at it fixing things that are not so cheap. Any ideas of what is actually failing? Is it RIP Jeep?...

side note...my jeep did this last winter but it went away after a few days and not nearly as loud as it is now.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure would be nice to hear this trans "squeak" can you post a vid of the noise?
What outside temps is this happening at?
Does it go away after 30 minutes of driving?
When was the last time the trans was serviced, with new ATF+4 & filter, how many miles ago?

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LibertyTC

1) Ill get out there tomorrow and get a vid to share

2) Its been mid to upper 30's here during the day although it was 61 a couple days ago and it was still doing it

3) Noise stays the same, maybe a little louder but not much

4) Had some transmission line leakage repaired last year and had fluid topped off but haven't had a full service..was thinking about taking it up to get it serviced to see if that does anything.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Well..if the trans has not been serviced lately you do want to do that with new filter!
You also want to see what if any particles are in the pan once it is removed.
You want to absolutely know that ATF+4 is used in KJ, or bring your own to shop!
I would also get a bottle of this lubegard and add it into the fluid at time of service.
This product makes things cooler & often stops whines & especially chatter in the converter.
Well worth a try! link: LUBEGARD Platinum High Performance ATF Protectant

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen almost clogged screens (on other manufactures auto transmissions) cause the pump to whine as it strains to suck fluid into the system. Its worth the try to service it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
All I am getting is an error occurred ^^ Anyone able to see/hear this video?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The embedded video doesn't work, but the stand alone URL does.

It sounds like a u-joint squeak, but you said it does it while sitting still as well, right? If so, can't be that.

Still, I'll repeat the suggestion for a pan drop, inspection, new fluid and filter.

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep still does it while stopped, im taking it up in a few hours so we will see how that goes

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
[YT]TW7tAYca6vI[/YT]

You just need the part after the "v=" in the link. :)

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Pro! now i know...Jeep is in shop right now, They suspect the noise is coming from my lines...something about transmission cooler lines or something (Just overheard them talking) it may be there a while since they were busy but i will post update.

JeepKid37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this problem also. Try checking the Idler pulleys. I know you said that it was coming from the trans, but I had mine looked at with a scope(or whatever it's called) and the guy said it's either the pulley or the water cooler. One last thing, try checking your serpitine belt they tend to squeak when there bad and go away after times too.

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got the Jeep back from the mechanic and turns out the noise was caused by the transmission cooler...There was a loud squeak coming from the transmission but it turns out it was coming from the cooler lines. The first mechanic said torque converter or trans pump and was talking $1000 fix or junk it, but I took it too a great shop here in town and they actually took the time to do a thorough check and it only ended up costing me $150!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It sure sounded like a rotational noise.
I am interested to know what they did to the cooler lines that made it stop, was it just vibrating or a loose line mount bracket or?
Did you get the trans pan dropped & new filter yet?

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep thats what I though too.

Guy got under there with his mechanic stethoscope and determined that the noise was coming from the tran lines all the way to the cooler.

Maybe they suspected a damaged/clogged line or something causing strain on pump? Im not 100% sure, I was going to ask him when I picked it up but it was like 10 minutes to close and all i could find was the front desk person.

When I spoke to him on the phone before the repair he suggested we replace the trans cooler and lines and make sure the transmission was still working good before throwing more money at it...so ill have to schedule an appointment to get the trans fluid/filter changed.

I drove it for about an hour after i picked it up, lots of stop and go and it didnt make a peep...before it was the loudest constant squeak.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had this exact same issue on another vehicle. Annoying whine/whistle that wouldn't go away no matter what I tried. It was most noticeable at idle and I suspected the transmission. Finally I had one line start leaking (rusted out) and when I changed all lines from the ****** to the rad and cooler (it has in rad and aux cooler) the sound disappeared.