This May be a CRAZY question...BUT I'M A NEWBIE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2007 Liberty Sport 4X4 which has the COMMAND-TRAC 4 wheel drive system. I know most people like their SELEC-TRAC better.

My question is...can either Liberty (Command or Selec) be lifted with good results? Which is better (Command or Selec) when offroading?

Also...if anyone has pics of their Liberty's with COMMAND-TRAC that have been lifted...please post a couple so I can see what I have to look forward to. I would like to see some pics/video of your COMMAND-TRAC in action also...if possible.

Clark (supermanwv)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll notice no difference in stance between command trac and select trac. Dimensionally, they are the same as well. In fact, if you were so inclined, you could put a S.T. case in a C.T. equipped KJ, or the other way around. Either can be lifted equally. Oonly way you'd know the difference is to look at the shifter handle to see if a full time option is present.

Command Trac has 2Hi, 4Hi(part time), N, 4Lo
Select Trac has 2Hi, 4Hi (Part Time), 4Hi(FullTime), N, 4Lo.

Full Time allows you to drive on surfaces that aren't quite slippery enough for Part Time with no binding. In fact, you can drive on dry pavement, and it won't bind the drivetrain at all.

Which is better? Matter of preference...the Command Trac case is ~15% (so I have heard), stronger than select trac.

My $.02 - The transfer case isn't really a weak point (the front diff housing is moreso than the TC), so to me it doesn't make a difference. Reason I got select trac? My wife will drive this at times, and I don't want her binding the drivetrain or worrying about whether it's slippery enough for PT or not. I'll also admit - I've used it quite a bit too, I actually find myself using FT 4wd quite a bit, and I like not having to pop it in and out of 4wd.

Lifting? Sure, they can be lifted with good results. Currently, you're kind of limited to a 2.5" lift, however, others (4", 6") are coming out. Additionally, read a LOT on here - not all 2.5" lifts are created equal.

Big A

Reaction score
As a Jeep Newbie also, I didnt know the difference either till i found this forum a few days ago! :eek:

Good thing i have not been home to put more than 100 miles on it since i bought it.

Adam

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I would like to see some photos of some KJ's with Command-Trac doing some rock crawling or mud flinging. Just to see how my Command-Trac will perform in those situations.

Thanks again.

Clark

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the pictures subforum on the main page. Lots of pics of us off-roading.

If you look for mine (might be on page 2) called Mounds 11-11-07, you'll see the stock SR-A's in the mud, as well as the skid plate aftermath (a good 10+ lbs of mud caked on the engine skid plate).

I was very pleased with how it did off-road. Hung with the JK's and TJ well enough - they scoffed at me at first, by the end they were shaking my hand. My biggest obstacle was the SR-A's sliding around i the mud. I DID get stuck twice and my buddy in the blue TJ had to winch me out, but the reason I got stuck was lack of ground clearance and inexperience. I was babying the gas too much and my skid lifted me off the ground when the ruts were too deep. I truly think if I gave it more gas and had some good A/T's, I would have slid/chewed my way through it. As it was the first time mudding for me, I didn't know how hard I could smack a stock skid with no damage. They can take a beating, let me tell you!

Worst thing, from what I have read and seen pics of, to do to a KJ is to get the front tires spinning, then have them grab suddenly - that leads to feont diff case explosion and a hefty repair tag. I try to be easy on the skinny pedal so I don't get in the habit. Of course, when I was out in the mud, there was nothing for it to grab.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I would like to see some photos of some KJ's with Command-Trac doing some rock crawling or mud flinging. Just to see how my Command-Trac will perform in those situations.

Thanks again.

Clark
Here's my '02 KJ with command-trac(only till feb!) wheeling here in CO and MOAB.
You must be registered for see images

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SWEET!!!! Considering all you've done, I think I already know, but I have to ask to make sure...

Do you have sway bar discos, & if so, were they disconnected in those pics?

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front swaybar is still on in all those pics,I have never taken it off or disconnected it.The rear swaybar is long gone though.

That reminds me, I was going to ask about the rear sway bar. Your's is gone, eh? I was wondering if I should delete mine when I do my lift this week. Does it affect on road driving much?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That reminds me, I was going to ask about the rear sway bar. Your's is gone, eh? I was wondering if I should delete mine when I do my lift this week. Does it affect on road driving much?
No,none what so ever since it only connects the rear LCA's effecting the rear flex and not much else.I have had it off for 2 years and could not even tell the difference,even towed twice for 1500 miles each(3500lbs and 4500lbs) with no bad effects from having it off.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect! Mine will be going in the trash!

KJPilot....Don't trash it. Stick it in the corner of the garage or something. You never know........

BTT.......Anyway, the selec-trac is really made with the extra full-time mode for on the road use such as rain or light snow for instance. Not that you couldn't use it off-road.

For off road use you are better off using the 4 hi part time or 4lo. Both selec-trac and command-trac have these settings.

Dave

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input.

Thanks TJKJ2002 for the pics...NICE

Clark