This has been a bad day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, a bad couple of days. I lost my job yesterday and to put it simply I got screwed hard (trust me I would like to use more colorful language for most of this diatribe I'm about to go on).

I found myself in the middle of a labor dispute at work and was fighting for what was right, not what I thought was right, what EVERYBODY thought was right. We were all on the same page and in it together with my helping lead the way when all of a sudden it got too real for 2/3's of our crew (24 workers total) and they turned their backs on us and whatched us hang for it.

Today I was in the Jeep driving home from a meeting with my training director and about 5 miles from home I stop for some traffic waiting for a garbage truck. The guy behind me doing 55mph decided to just go through me. The Jeep was in great shape for how forcefull the impact was. His taurus wagon was another story all together, the guy was lucky to not be injurred. I checked myself for injuries and then ran up 100yds to where he came to rest and proceeded to check him for injuries and shock. The jeep's not a write off, unless there's something wrong with it that I couldn't see.

This all *****, sure, but to top it off I'm getting married in 4 weeks in a ceremony that I'm paying for myself all the way down 16hrs away in Missourri. I was supposed to drive the jeep down there .... what the eff.

Thanks for reading

Bad day . . . f--k it
-Marc M.

Last edited:

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgot pics. They're bad quality cell phone pics but here goes.

You can see in the passenger side pic that my Rustys 2.5" rear spring came completely out and I watched it bounce down the road.

Attachments

• 4-25-2008 2.jpg
    4-25-2008 2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 4-25-2008 3.jpg
    4-25-2008 3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 100
  • 4-25-2008 1.jpg
    4-25-2008 1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 102

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude that *****! makes me appreciate what i got. labor disputes always suck! can you grieve it and get it in front of an arbitrator? that might be your only saving grace!

if i were you i would look forward to the wedding as it can be the only bright spot on the horizon!

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude that *****! makes me appreciate what i got. labor disputes always suck! can you grieve it and get it in front of an arbitrator? that might be your only saving grace!

if i were you i would look forward to the wedding as it can be the only bright spot on the horizon!

I coulde, but truth be told I'm actually fairly relieved to be away from that contractor. I would definately love to see them burn for the way they treat their employees though.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Mark, glad to hear you both came out OK. Any idea what this guys malfunction was that he slammed your baby like that? Looking at the pics I'd pretty much bet that your uni-frame is tweaked, I'm sure once the insurance company starts looking they'll find more wrong with it. Hopefully this ID10T has insurance so you don't have to call on yours. Also sad to hear about you losing your job, even more so when you thought you were doing the right thing. Hopefully it'll all come out OK and in a month or so you can just look back at it as one of life's turns.

Take care, and good luck on the nuptials!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Ouch! Glad you walked away from it though, and sorry to hear about the Job...

Hate to say it, but the ole KJ looks done to me. Looks like the rear axle's shifted a good bit (or bent), and i'd be willing to bet like Kevin said, the uni-frame is tweaked. Atleast, if your state is like mine, the moron who plowed into you is 100% at fault.

Just say this to yourself when you get to feelin down....all things happen for a reason. In the end, everything will work out, and all will be just fine. You've got a wedding to look forward too!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your alright and Congrats on getting married! Look at the accident like this, your KJ was a true friend to the end for it protected you and kept you safe.

Your job letting you go might be a blessing in disguise. I bet you'll find a better one and be happy that your no longer with that company.

Hopefully things will go great with the insurance companies, and soon you'll be driving another KJ, just remember to take off the parts you'd want to put on your next one so that you won't have to try and find them again, then you'll be up on the mods for the next KJ.

See, there's always a silver linning, sometimes you just have to look hard for it :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that dude. Hopefully things will start to look up once you get married and get you life going in another direction.

Idk how marriage could be fun though. :D

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Mark! Yup that is one HORRIBLE day. But we are glad that you're OK after that hit! Remember that it could have been much much worse.

Where did that happen, may I ask?

And I agree, your KJ looks very much well done. I know it *****...
. Hopefully this ID10T has insurance so you don't have to call on yours.

No Fault State.....

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys, it's very much needed and very much appreciated at this point.

Michigan is a no-fault state. The only thing I'll get out of it is filing a mini-tort against his insurance to cover my deductable.

Marlon, it happened on Fred Moore Hwy. (32 mile road) just east of I94.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that qualifies for a bad day, Mark. Take it one day at a time and a better job will come. I have been laid off before and found a better job.

Sorry about the KJ, but I am glad to hear that you were not injured or worse.

Take one day at a time, and good luck on your wedding.

Better days will come.

Dave

esther

Reaction score
Gosh, that's a really bad day...

Tony says that if you were a European KJ that would not be a write of, seems like most damage is your rear bumper/ flat tire?

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gosh, that's a really bad day...

Tony says that if you were a European KJ that would not be a write of, seems like most damage is your rear bumper/ flat tire?

Yes it seems that way, but the other vehicle was a low-sitting car so it went underneath me and into the rear tire at a high rate of speed. The axle/driveline probably took a heck of a hit. But we'll see what happens.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are alright. While reading this I was thinking that really *****, but look at it this way, 1) new wife 2) new job 3) new KJ? Try to take it one day at a time. If you get unemployment it will give to some time to spend with your new lady. :) It is always fun to start a rebuild too and do all the things you wish you would have the first time. Hope things start looking up.

dog_party

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're okay! Wow! That's a scary crash. A couple women got hit like that here locally last year and they both died at the scene. Again...I'm really glad to hear you're okay.

I'll be really surprised if that's not a write-off. You never know though. Good luck with the insurance companies. I hope it all turns out okay for you.

Good luck with the impending wedding! That's great news!

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes. That is a very bad day. I'd be surprised if they didn't total it eventually. I bet the entire driveline took one heck of a hit and I wouldnt be surprised if it tweaked the unibody.

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went and looked at the Jeep yesterday and it's pretty rough. Rear axle is toast along with the differential, uni-frame is twisted, something in the front end is bent because the toe is way off. Rear shocks snapped in half and the corner of the trunk area got pushed up into the cab. Needs a rear quarter, door, hatch, bumper, couple rims and tires, and my Drawtite class III is trash and the exhaust got smashed and spit apart at the welds. We'll see what happens I guess.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesnt sound like its going to make it dude. Still hoping for the best though. :)

I think it happened b/c you never posted up pics of how you made those light brackets. :p

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well at least they didn't screw up one of those new Spectacular Peninsulas plates! I'd have been very upset. :p

Hate to say it but I'd say you're looking at about at least 6k in repairs... I'd think so.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that *****. and for the labor disputes, ive been through them a few times. but not anymore. most people say they are with ya, but when it comes down to talking , they turn tail and run. i had one once where it was me and 5 others going to talk to the main boss. well it ended up just me going through the door when it was time.