Thinking about getting an 09 KK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wingnuts

Reaction score
Alright so my wife and I are thinking about consolidating our vehicles. Currently have on 06 Mazda 3i and a 07 KJ Sport and we are looking at the new KK. This is the second year for it and she wants a sun roof or the sky slider, I want the towing package and form the inventory that we are seeing in the area there is more sky sliders available with a towing package.

Ive looked through and read, but it seems like most of the posts are from mid 08 and are earlier when it comes to the KKs.

Who has an 09? and ulitmately what are your thoughts, sun roof, sky slider?

I also have a company car for work, and well we just don't need 3 cars, thus the consolidation.

Just looking for some current thoughts from people.

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 09 has more improvements over the 08.The 09 has new suspension,better interior,improved brake feel.I have a 08 and had some problems with A/C,and ****** shifts.TSBs have taken care of the problem.The 09 should have some bugs gone that the 08s have.There have been problems with the skyslider with wind noise.Some claim that the sunroof leaks under high water pressure.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think if you can get a good deal on the one you want, do it. The 09's have had the suspension re-tuned, for the firmer side I believe (according to motortrend.) Never heard about the Sky Slider leaking, but could see it.

silverfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it from me...the skyslider leaks. I have a water stained headliner to prove it. Took it through the car wash twice this winter to get the salt/grime off the car, and each time it leaked. Plus it has gotten louder with wind noise as time has gone on. But it sure is a blast to open when the weather is warm!!! Too bad it's design disaster. Be aware......

wingnuts

Reaction score
what kind of carwash? touchless? I guess if sky slider is the route we go might just have to hand wash it more

all the noise comments I just laugh at because its like saying a rag top convertable is suppose to have the same noise levels as a solid roof and as it getting worse I can see that too with seals weareing out. I've heard about some "fix" for the noise on the 08s does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks for the comments so far

one more thing does anyone have access to consumer reports that they could share with me, really looking at their testing with the sky slider?

cvt8474

Reaction score
richd is right about the improvements. My cousin works for Chrysler and has commented on how much better the '09 feels than the '08. The reason I'm letting you know is there are still brand new '08's on the lots, and the salesman will probably try to push you into one. My cousin's mom has an '08 and if he can get out of one and into another and tell that easily getting a '09 is in your best interest. I recently asked the Jeep dealer if they've seen any issues with the skysliderm and they said they have sold a lot of them and haven't seen one come back in for problems yet. I have no regrets buying my '08 KK, and would definitely recommend a KK to anyone.

danruehl

Reaction score
Hey Wingnuts,
I bought one in January with the skyslider.
Until last night the vehicle had been flawless. THe skyslider is quiet, does not leak water or air. I have been through 3 different carwashes without problem. I get 18 mpg primarily on the highway at 75 mph.
I doubt you'll be disappointed. LAst night my radio failed. Dead. Looking for info here before I take it in.

Good luck,
Dan

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to comment on the marketing of Chrysler on this one.. They have made a product; this sky slider. That people would actually choose to put on their vehical despite weight, leaks, noise, and the added light (i dont like light in my car). This product is attracting the women to the model. Very good work Jeep, My girlfriend already calls my KJ "Cute", now the KK, is "cuddly", it wont be long before we just put a little vase in the dash like the VW bugs, and little flower print wheels.. =(

I want to see a base model, for men, no electric windows, beefed up x-fer case/suspention, and a factory lift. you wont see it.. because men have no control of what the family 'takes home' from the lot.. =) simple marketing.

anyway That post probably belongs in the 'off topic forum' but wanted to get that off my chest.

But hey man, Do you love your wife? mind getting a few drops of water on your shoulder or in your lap? Get the damn sky slider, and when it starts leaking take fault for it, and say "I'm sorry i was pushing you so hard toward the one with the fancy roof baby.."

Life will be fine.

In my experience (my stepdads Yukon) these 'slidy roofs' won't last 'problem free' beyond a couple seasons. His Yukon had the slide forward cargo area and it came off the tracks almost every time he went to use it.. currently someone has to hold on to it while its being slid in or out..

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife drives the KK,while I drive my Charger.I'm happy with my choice.

wingnuts

Reaction score
well you see if it was practical I'd be getting a Challenger, but that isn't practical for a 4 season vehicle. I like the comments and I love the idea of the sky slider, but the few comments that I have read about it kinda scare me.

I can't believe how many sky sliders are available with the tow package, I swear almost everyone is ike that.

wingnuts

Reaction score
Alright so we went and got an 09 KK friday night,

has the PEG, tow package and the sky slider, I spent all day yesterday putting on a 24" hood kit, bumper kit, grill kit and also covering the A pillars, above the windshield and also the fender flares on the passenger doors with 3M paint protection film oh yeah also on the headlights and turn signals

You must be registered for see images

danruehl

Reaction score
Very Nice, I like the blue, also did the paint protection, but had it done. Some things I'm good at, some not so much.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks really good in blue....congrats.

Dave

wingnuts

Reaction score
yep still really glad I got it, just wish I was home more and could enjoy it, ***** being on the road all week