Thinking about buying a 2002 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sillbeer

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying my first Jeep and just wanted some opinions. It's a 2002 Liberty renegade. It's 4x4, automatic, has sunroof, and tow package. There was a recall on the ball joints that has been taken care off. It's a dark olive green color and in very good condition. There aern't any dents or scatches on it and the interior is nearly perfect. It has 46,000 miles on it. I'm going to go take it for a test drive tomorrow along with a base model they have that I didn't look at today. It's a salesmans personal vehicle at a dealership I stopped by today. He's asking $12,000 for it. Is there anything in particular that I should look out for? Maintenance issues with certain years or anything?

-Destin

dnm45227

Reaction score
make sure both lower ball joint recalls are completed.

also if it's an early '02 it could be pre-lowered, about an inch or so taller than other kj's

2003KJ

Reaction score
And being a 2002 model, you get the beefier 45RFE transmission (shared with the dodge Ram).

Look very closely at the ball joints and make SURE that they are somewhat new. The 2002 has been recalled twice for the lower ball joints.

Simply take the last 8 digits of the Jeep's VIN number and click here to run the numbers and see if there are any outstanding recalls.....namely the ball joint one.

If you're trying to get to that from another computer, simply go to www.jeep.com, and in the top right click on where it says "for owners", after doing that you'll be on the owners page of Jeep's website. Look on the left hand side, underneath the gray list you'll see where it says Recalls. Select USA if it isn't already selected, and type in the last 8 digits.

Other than that, there's not really anything year specific to look out for.

FastTRX

Reaction score
That is most definitly a great deal and a low milage 02'!! I didnt think they made the Rennys in 02' though? Hmm...sounds good though...you will love it when you get it.

I have a Pre-lowered 02'...I can't notice much of a difference compared to others...but it's nice to have I suppose. Good luck w/ the purchase.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my '02 Limited a couple months ago, and it had 56,000 miles on it....and I thought that was great! That's awesome mileage! I'd go for it!

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude..

I have a 2005 with 20k miles loaded.. tow/nav/leather select trak... 18,500

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a pretty good deal, i bought my 02 renegade a year ago with 43k on it for $12,100. yes make sure that the most recent recall was done.

sillbeer

Reaction score
I test drove it today and it felt really solid. I ended up paying a little more than I expected but there holding it for me with a deposit until I move into my house which could be 4-6 weeks. I don't want it on my credit and then not qualify for my house. Anyways thanks for the advice.

-Destin

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 LTD has been solid. Almost 79,000 miles so far.