The Wrangler Wave?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeeperMcBee

Reaction score
Hi all!

I just joined this forum a few minutes ago and figured I'd dive into my first post here. I will be a very proud Jeep Liberty owner very soon and had this question constantly ringing throughout my head:

Do/Should Jeep Liberty drivers participate in the Jeep Wave?

I've ready countless forums and articles going back and forth on the subject. The main concern being that non-Jeep Wrangler drivers don't wave back due to the hierarchy and that they don't initiate the wave, like they should. From what I've read, there seems to be a general consensus among the higher ranked Jeep owners (JK, etc.) that the lower ranked owners (KJ, KK, etc.) aren't "worthy" of the wave. The Jeep Wave has seemed to transform into more of a Wrangler Wave.

It seems like a silly issue, but as someone who has wanted to own a Jeep for years, participating in the Jeep Wave is something cool and unique. After all, I've been driving a Ford Escape the last couple of months and no such thing exists for Fords, and rightfully so.

Anyone willing to shed some light on this for an eager, future Jeep owner?

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say if your drive a Jeep then wave whether they wave back or not. I do it to see the odd looks on their faces of the ones who don't wave. My opinion is real Jeepers will wave. Those who don't will end up needing you pull them out of a hole someday.

Welcome to the group. When do you get your Libby and tell us about it? Year? Model?

JeeperMcBee

Reaction score
I should be getting the Libby in the next few weeks or so, once the current owner is able to find a replacement vehicle.

It's a 2003, Sport mode, black.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I try and wave, even to Wranglers. If they don't wave back I just pull down a few fingers. :mexsmoke:

Last edited:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acting like a snob because of the vehicle you drive is for BMW owners...if you don't want to wave to me from your 'box on shocks', fine...I'll still stop to help you on trail or highway if I can...

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's more of an appreciation and chance to receive "the wave" in a Liberty if it's lifted, since the owner is obviously a "Jeep guy". Otherwise, you can't be easily distinguished between being a Jeep guy, or soccer mom/dad. In my Vette, we wave, although many owners of newer generations just don't get it (I gave up on "them"). In my old Camaro, waves are exchanged with any older vintage car.

rapom

Reaction score
Being a tj owner (my wife drives the renegade libby) we "tj"ers really don't like 4 door wranglers. Not worthy. We don't have much being a box on shocks. Can we just have our wave? But in all reality I will wave to modded libbys. Or any modded jeep. Even the slightest little mod.... plastic dipped wheels for ex. Or oem size be meatier tires.. doesn't take much to tell me that you know what you drive and don't just refer to it as transportation. I hate when other wranglers don't wave back.... even some people driving wranglers are of the type.. really hate that.. to add tho. When I had the unfortunate task of driving the wife's libby (just terrible to drive! Woman's jeep 4 sure) no offense... I swear. But I waved at a few wranglers and they waved back.. maybe cause her libby is pretty nice.. black renegade. Nice tires. Blacked out badges... the small stuff told thoes tj owners that it was ok to return the wave

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only time I have ever waved at someone who didn't wave first is on a motorcycle.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wave at any jeep that looks modified or if it's an older Jeep. Only because if I waved at every single Jeep I passed, my hands would start to cramp up from all the waving. I have only ever received a wave back from other Wrangler drivers though. Even the few modified KJ's I've passed look right at me but don't return the wave. Hell, there's a few times I've waived at some really kick ass modified FJ's even and I can't stand those :icon_lol:

I say, give eachother sh*t and give eachother a friendly hard time, but at the end of the day respect eachother until they've given you a reason not too, and what you drive isn't a valid reason (unless it's a new Renegade lol)

Last edited:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had wrangler wave and not.... then i tarted pulling them out in the ssnow storm.... i get the wave alot more now.