The tale of 150$ spark plugs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwiftyZenBadd

Reaction score
Took the kj to the dealership thinking the headgasket was going, 3 days later I had new sparkplugs and the bill...no leak down test, no compression test, must have just been plugs... :rolleyes: you would think for such a bill they would at least wash the vehicle or give me my own bottle of ky.

I did get the chance to talk to the mechanic who worked on my truck at least, which was a plus in my book. Also now instead of the engine skipping, the trans is having issues, plane to change fluid/filter when i have the $ to do so.

Are there any issues with trannys at 63K?

- Jeff

Reaction score
tell them not to do any work until you sign off on it. they tried to charge me 247 for a tire pressure sensor in my spare tire. and 130 for the pad over the engine. i think at 60k all diff. fluids and such get changed and freon and trans mission fluids get changed

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my axles Serviced and five tire rotation. It cost me about $140. I was gonna do full synthetic but then the price would have been over $300. I was like screw that. Synthetic Blend is fine for me.
The Dana 30a cost more to service than the Chrysler 8.25. The Dana hold more fluid.

and just as ms5490renegade said,
Never let them work on your KJ until they sign off Because when I went to have axles serviced they had me down for an entire Vehicle overhaul :confused: . They would have changed all my fluids, replaced all my tubes and belts. and tune up the engine. Not that all of that is a bad thing. but my Jeep is less than two years old with only 15K. Plus it would of cost me about $700 to have that all done.

So it's a very important safety Tip.
Go over the work with your Garage before anything is done. :D

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell them not to do any work until you sign off on it. they tried to charge me 247 for a tire pressure sensor in my spare tire. and 130 for the pad over the engine. i think at 60k all diff. fluids and such get changed and freon and trans mission fluids get changed

Freon should never need to be changed unless you have a leak or something is wrong with the A/C.

At 60k I would of had the ****** fluid changed at least twice with a filter change at each change. The OM calls for it at 60k but thats too late in my opinion. Make sure ATF+4 fluid is used. :)

SwiftyZenBadd

Reaction score
Heres the catch, my jeep is also in my mothers name, for a number or reasons.

They called her and she signed off on the work over the phone.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would think for such a bill they would at least wash the vehicle or give me my own bottle of ky.
That's not really a bad price for plug replacement.You figure about $50 for the plugs after dealer markup(your stuck with this no matter where you go),1 hour labor(ranges from $75-$140 per hour depending on where you live),shop supplies(another thing you will never get away from unless you do it yourself),and then tax.So $150 for plugs replaced on a KJ is actually pretty reasonable,coming from a mechanics stand point.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not really a bad price for plug replacement.You figure about $50 for the plugs after dealer markup(your stuck with this no matter where you go),1 hour labor(ranges from $75-$140 per hour depending on where you live),shop supplies(another thing you will never get away from unless you do it yourself),and then tax.So $150 for plugs replaced on a KJ is actually pretty reasonable,coming from a mechanics stand point.

Ditto,.....and the KJ is easy. I got a Cutlass with the 3100 v6 transverse mounted and I can't even see the 3 plugs on the firewall side. The plugs need to be changed and I have been putting it off. (I am not doing it-it will go to the mechanic)......$$$$

The KJ plug change is easy in comparison. Even the oil change is easier. One of my kids has a Mazda3 and you don't even want to work on that one. He can come over and use my garage/tools, but I am not touching that thing.

Dave

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ is probably one of the easiest vehicles I've ever changed plugs on. I wouldn't dream of taking it to a dealer for such and easy task.

It cost me like $25 for the plugs.

scull20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto,.....and the KJ is easy. I got a Cutlass with the 3100 v6 transverse mounted and I can't even see the 3 plugs on the firewall side. The plugs need to be changed and I have been putting it off. (I am not doing it-it will go to the mechanic)......$$$$

Dave

Same here...94 Cutlass Supreeeeeme :) 3100 V6. Plugs were done last time I had it in the shop. I changed the battery myself (I know...whoopty doo), It was a NIGHTMARE...take a look what you have to do to get to it next time you pop the hood Dave.

-Ryan

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here...94 Cutlass Supreeeeeme :) 3100 V6. Plugs were done last time I had it in the shop. I changed the battery myself (I know...whoopty doo), It was a NIGHTMARE...take a look what you have to do to get to it next time you pop the hood Dave.

-Ryan

Yea Ryan, I changed the "whoopty doo" battery in mine too, but it is a 99 Cutlass so maby a little different....haha. It gets real good gas mileage (28-30 highway) and runs good so I gotta keep it.

Dave