The Patriot has arrived! (PICS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spied this one today about a mile from my dealership about to make a drop off...there were about 3 patriots, 2 compasses and a couple calibers on board.

You must be registered for see images

The other patriots were the nicer editions, but I wasn't far enough alongside the truck to get pics of those ones.

ups4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was at my dealership in Ft Lauderdale today, and he has about 7 Patriots on the lot. All different colors and body styles. I like the LTD with the bumper inserts and side moldings. There was an Inferno Red LTD 4x4 that I almost bought on the spot. Too bad my wife was with me and reminded me that I just bought my KJ last March.... ](*,)
I think the sticker was around 21K. It's pretty crappy that you have to pay about $225 for the red (Aeh) .

I still say it looks very much like the old Cherokee, cept a little smaller.

Paul
________
buy no2

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got some more pics today at the dealership. it was raining so I was trying to hurry or I would have gotten more pics.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, they're small. A good friend of mine has a Dodge Caliber and you can definitely tell that's what the Patriot is based on. Once I got in (it was unlocked), it felt like I was sitting in his Caliber. From the outside, they're ok I guess, just not my thing.puke.gif

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to check jeep.com again, this thing looks nice :)

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like how the Dodge Nitro looks in person. However I have not yet seen a Patriot in person so I will reserve judgment until then. I'm seriously thinking of getting the Patriot once it comes to Canada. The main reason is the excellent fuel economy of the Patriot. In Canada we also get a $1000 fuel efficiency rebate from the government for it. The only thing I don't like is the off road package comes only with an automatic transmission. I would prefer a manual transmission as the fuel economy is better in that version. Yes, the 4x4 capability of the Patriot appears slightly weaker than the liberty (4 wheel independent suspension, etc.) but we all need to start making sacrifices in our daily driving if we are going to reduce CO2 emissions to combat global warming.

ashbinder

Reaction score
I have seen the Patriot in person (just at my dealership recently for an oil change) and personally don't find it too bad. I like it better than the Commander in terms of styling.

I agree that it is appealing that the gov't will give you a rebate for getting a Patriot; however, the CVT available for it is not to my liking. My best friend has a Caliber and I've driven it quite a bit. To me, it feels like you're driving a boat (rubber band sensation, where you floor it and the revs pick up before the car starts moving faster).

Kudos to icarl for carrying about the environment - I tend to get flack from people I know for driving a "gas pig" Liberty and seem to be branded as non caring of the environment by those people, even though that's not true - stereotypes, I tell ya. :)

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the CVT available for it is not to my liking. My best friend has a Caliber and I've driven it quite a bit. To me, it feels like you're driving a boat (rubber band sensation, where you floor it and the revs pick up before the car starts moving faster).

I agree I would rather have a manual transmission. However the CVT in the Patriot off road package is not exactly the same as the Caliber. As quoted from Jeep: "The CVT2L version, included in the available Trail Rated™ Freedom-Drive II™ four-wheel-drive Off-Road Group, utilizes a 19:1 overall crawl ratio for serious off-road capability." I believe the CVT2 (in the standard Patriot and Caliber) has a 14:1 crawl ratio.

I also drive a caliber at work once in awhile and have not noticed any boat like qualities
icon7.gif

however I probably wasn't paying attention. Next time I drive it I will see if I notice any slack time in acceleration.

Last edited:

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is some interesting info on the CVT I found at wikipedia.
Quote:
"Advantages and drawbacks Compared to hydraulic automatic transmissions:

* CVTs can smoothly compensate for changing vehicle speeds, allowing the engine speed to remain at its level of peak efficiency. They may also avoid torque converter losses. This improves both fuel economy and exhaust emissions. However, some units (e.g., Jatco "Extroid") also employ a torque converter. Fuel efficiency advantages as high as 20% over four-speed automatics can be obtained.
* CVTs have much smoother operation. This can give a perception of low power, because many drivers expect a jerk when they begin to move the vehicle. The satisfying jerk of a non-CVT transmission can be emulated by CVT control software though, eliminating this marketing problem.
* Since the CVT keeps the engine turning at constant RPMs over a wide range of vehicle speeds, pressing on the accelerator pedal will make the car move faster but doesn't change the sound coming from the engine as much as a conventional automatic transmission gear-shift. This confuses some drivers and, again, leads to a mistaken impression of a lack of power.
* Most CVTs are simpler to build and repair.
* CVT torque handling capability is limited by the strength of their belt or chain, and by their ability to withstand friction wear between torque source and transmission medium for friction-driven CVTs. CVTs in production prior to 2005 are predominantly belt or chain driven and therefore typically limited to low powered cars and other light duty applications. More advanced IVT units using advanced lubricants, however, have been proven to support any amount of torque in production vehicles, including that used for buses, heavy trucks, and earth moving equipment."

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Canada we also get a $1000 fuel efficiency rebate from the government for it.

After doing more research I learned that the rebate is only for the FWD version of the patriot according to jeep.ca website. The fuel economy of the FWD version is the same as the compass and is rated at 33/39 mpg (imperial-UK) city/highway. The fuel economy of the 4wd manual version is still really good though. Fuel economy for the different models is rated as follows.

As you can see the off-road version is not much better than the liberty on the highway and is a little better in town.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
After doing more research I learned that the rebate is only for the FWD version of the patriot according to jeep.ca website. The fuel economy of the FWD version is the same as the compass and is rated at 33/39 mpg (imperial-UK) city/highway. The fuel economy of the 4wd manual version is still really good though. Fuel economy for the different models is rated as follows.

As you can see the off-road version is not much better than the liberty on the highway and is a little better in town.
Yeah, the MPG on the Patriot is actually quote horrible considering what it is. In contrast, the Liberty is the exact opposite.

In other news, 23MPG highway? The only gains vs. the Liberty are in the city where the 4 cylinder shines. And the new Liberty will have increased MPG? What's the point of the Patriot? :p

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went today and got some better comparison shots

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The size looks similar in those shots. The problem with the Patriot and Compass are.... their width is due to styling elements.

And why does the Patriot look like it is frowning? Kinda depressing when compared to the happy-go-lucky Liberty. :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It needs grill accent. It looks blank and ugly.