The Official "My Gas Mileage *****" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

webado

Reaction score
gas mileage

I just bought a used 2002 Liberty and it is terrible on Gas.15 mpg on the road,
10-11mpg pulling a 3200 pount camper.Any tips on increasing Mileage?Andy

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's about normal.You can do a tune up and it will help some.Replace plugs,air filter,fuel filter,and switch to full synthetics all around.I only get 9-10mpg in town and maybe 15-16 on the highway.Pulling my trailer loaded,about 5mpg.But I have modded it heavily and now my KJ tips the scales at 5400lbs(4000 stock).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

haha.....I put 2 boats in the lake. Just got back. One earlier this week and one today. The heaviest one is about 4200 lbs including all gear, full gas tank, etc, and trailer. Mostly an up hill mountain tow at 65 mph. Gas mileage is not good - about 12 or so with O/D locked out - but it towed well. I bet I got better mileage coming back with the empty trailer, but I didn't check it. But I caught a laker and it probably cost me $20.00 a pound.

My KJ is really good on gas when it's parked.

Dave

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see this is the only BIG problem i am running into when looking into a liberty. I cant afford the CRD because its too much money, i love the liberty but the gas mileage scares me.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see this is the only BIG problem i am running into when looking into a liberty. I cant afford the CRD because its too much money, i love the liberty but the gas mileage scares me.
You want scared? try a '84 F-150 that got ony 2mpg(city or highway it didn't matter) and was in perfect running condition.Maybe those 4.88 gears was a bad idea with 235/75R15's,but I could pull a house down and tow over 18,000lbs!

BlkJeepKJ

Reaction score

It all depends on the way you look at it. I love my KJ, but I wish the mileage was better. However a car won't make it in the bush, and back out ok when going camping or fishing.. etc. Some times you have to pay the price to get what you want. I can tow my snowmobiles, the trailer, boat, go camping farther than usual, 4x4, and much more... I will pay the price, but I know my mileage was better when I first bought it with 32,000 KM it.... I thought maybe it was just winter... but winter is now summer and it still *****... so I am trying new things and hopefully it will improve.

It all depends on what you do, or want to do with it, cuz a Jeep will do more than you want it to.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been manually tracking mine since I bought it in January, about 10,000 KM logged.

I drive about 70% hwy / 30% city (140 KM round trip each day) and here is what I've got so far:

Average: 16.34 MPG

Best: 19.77 MPG (last week)

Worst: 11.03 MPG (last weekend)

Worst was towing my 20' travel trailer, about 3000 lbs, this past weekend.

I have seen an improvement as the weather warms up, from the 15-16 range to 17-18 on average (without trailer!).

Dave

Radioman

Reaction score
Heres my latest figures. Just to recap, got a new 2007 Libby about 2-1/2 months ago, now has 4400 miles on it. Prior to my 3000 mile oil change with the factory oil installed, I got about 17.2 MPG city and about 22 MPG highway.

I switched to Mobil 1 5w-20 at around 3000 miles. Last week I noticed that I got 19.2 MPG City at around 3900 miles. Unfortunately no highway miles to compare.

At this point I'm not sure if its just breaking in still or the synthetic oil actually is helping the situation. I wasn't planning on another oil change until I get at least 5000 miles on this oil.
- Mike

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres my latest figures. Just to recap, got a new 2007 Libby about 2-1/2 months ago, now has 4400 miles on it. Prior to my 3000 mile oil change with the factory oil installed, I got about 17.2 MPG city and about 22 MPG highway.

I switched to Mobil 1 5w-20 at around 3000 miles. Last week I noticed that I got 19.2 MPG City at around 3900 miles. Unfortunately no highway miles to compare.

At this point I'm not sure if its just breaking in still or the synthetic oil actually is helping the situation. I wasn't planning on another oil change until I get at least 5000 miles on this oil.
- Mike

You're doing good. The KJ is heavy at about 4,200lbs and has the aerodynamics of a brick. Also, I don't think it's really broken in until 8-10,000 miles according to a mechanic I talked to about mine. The synthetic helps a "little" ..

Dave

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 liberty with 88k on it - it does maybe 20 hwy about 15 city. i just put some FIC in it less than a month ago...increased MPG - semi synthetic did nothing for me in MPG however.

compared to my rover which does 10 city :p and maybe 18 hwy @65 MPH (blarg) , its a bargain

oh yea, rover takes premium at the tank, and 25 gallons of it at each sitting :eek:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was coming down a mountain for about a 5 mile stretch and reset the EVIC and had my foot off the gas and it was reading 24.8 or something crazy like that and then I got to the bottom and had to get heavy on the skinny pedal and go up - "forgettaboutit"........When the road streightened out I was barely getting 20.....................It was an illusion....haha

Dave

wildy

Reaction score
Hi, I`m new to this forum. I bought a 2005 2.8 CRD two weeks ago and I am averaging 31.5mpg. I do take it gentle from the start and average 50/50 city/highway.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
31.5MPG....

What "kind" of gallons? US or Imperial? Gotta be Imperial... I can't "average" 30MPG to save my life in my 2.8L. I CAN average in the 20s.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
31.5MPG....

What "kind" of gallons? US or Imperial? Gotta be Imperial... I can't "average" 30MPG to save my life in my 2.8L. I CAN average in the 20s.

Well.....if ya slow down to less than the speed of light..........:D

Dave

t_bois

Reaction score
One thing I'm missing here is which transmission/transfer case you have. There are 4 different drivetrains when you include the transfer case, 4 if you include the diesel, but that's comparing apples to oranges.

I have the 6 speed manual and think if it had a higher 6th gear it would increase the MPG, so larger diameter tires (not wider) will be coming soon.

My wife averages 18 (she doesn't shift as often as I do), but I haven't had a chance to drive it much because she like's it so much better then her YJ. I'm sure I can get into the 20s easily.

Latest posts

Members online