Temp Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxdazxx

Reaction score
I have noticed one day when i was driving back from school my temp gauge was getting close to the red but went right back down, i drive about 1:30mins back and forth to school everyday. i took it to my deal and they said they couldnt see anything wrong, so i was like ok, im just wondering if it will move up and down depending on my driving, i have a new waterpump dont have any leaks, i keep my stearing wheel low so it blocks my temp gauge so maybe its always going up and down but i never noticed it. any ideas? its a 04 liberty renegade 3.7 thank you

xxdazxx

Reaction score
Something is wrong, it will not move up or down, check this topic, then check your fluids,

http://jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33492

i have check my fluids and so did the dealership, they are all fine.....it doesnt move all the time, depends on how fast im going, ill check everything agin, other than that ill just wait until it blows up and then it will be the dealers problem...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest you also post in the other thread to get attention of others who replied under there, in addition to keeping this topic here.

xxdazxx

Reaction score
Give us more info about when it does it. idling, driving, A/C on, A/C off..??

its random, it doesn't matter if the AC is on or off or if the heat is on or off, i drive about 1:30mins x 2 a day back a forth to school, it doesnt do it all the time, mostly when im really getting on it, going up hills, or on the highway.....it never went all the way in the red where the chimes would go off, it just goes right down when i let off the gas, like i said before its probably been doing it every scene i brought it, i just haven't noticed it because i drive with the staring wheel down so low....my fluids are fine, the fan works, heat works, ac works.....dealership said that they checked everything and didnt see anything wrong...ill let you all know tomorrow when i go to school on how the gauge moves.

2003KJ

Reaction score
How many miles, and what year is your KJ?

Sounds like a flow problem....perhaps something is gunked up in the radiator?

xxdazxx

Reaction score
How many miles, and what year is your KJ?

Sounds like a flow problem....perhaps something is gunked up in the radiator?

its an 04 renegade, just gonna be hitting 50 thousand......today it did the same thing, most of the time it will do it when im doing over 65mph.....or going up hills, i have no power loss so, i have no clue on what it could be.....im gonna be bringing it in for an oil change im gonna say something to the jeep dealership again.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote is a faulty thermostat. If thats the case it should be a cheap and easy fix. If it isn't the case then I'd say maybe have the cooling system flushed to see what happens, and if that doesn't help then (dunno) headscratch.gif

xxdazxx

Reaction score
My vote is a faulty thermostat. If thats the case it should be a cheap and easy fix. If it isn't the case then I'd say maybe have the cooling system flushed to see what happens, and if that doesn't help then (dunno) headscratch.gif

thanks for the tips, i know this is probably a stupid question, but where is the thermostat located?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the '03 FSM ( '04 should be the same location):

You must be registered for see images attach

So it looks like it is below the alternator on the lower front of the engine block.

xxdazxx

Reaction score
thanks man for the help! do i need to do anything before i take it out and replace it?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but I would get the tstat from the dealer along with the gasket for the tstat housing. You can see it fairly good if you look up at the engine from the bottom. The lower hose is connected to the housing which is held on with 3 bolts I do believe.

All of the fluid will come out of the rad when you take the lower hose off unless you drain it via the petcock on the rad first.

xxdazxx

Reaction score
No, but I would get the tstat from the dealer along with the gasket for the tstat housing. You can see it fairly good if you look up at the engine from the bottom. The lower hose is connected to the housing which is held on with 3 bolts I do believe.

All of the fluid will come out of the rad when you take the lower hose off unless you drain it via the petcock on the rad first.

thanks for the info, so do i have to put more fluid in when i disconnect the rad hose?

2003KJ

Reaction score
thanks for the info, so do i have to put more fluid in when i disconnect the rad hose?

yup, cause you'll loose a fairly good bit (most of it actually) when you pop that lower hose off.

This can become a messy job, and quick.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you check the coolant level before getting into all that. Check it cold. I've had similar symptoms in other vehicles due to a loss of coolant and there not being enough in the system. Not sure if you said you did that already...

xxdazxx

Reaction score
Just make sure you check the coolant level before getting into all that. Check it cold. I've had similar symptoms in other vehicles due to a loss of coolant and there not being enough in the system. Not sure if you said you did that already...

i got a appointment for an oil change tomorrow, and i told the dealership again about the problem, the gauge only gets close to the red when im doing over 60mph and on the highway, or climbing up hills at a high rate of speed, ill let you guys know tomorrow night what they say. thanks for all the info!

xxdazxx

Reaction score
update

so i gotta drop the jeep off on monday, they think its the water pump that was just replaced back in april, they think its defective,so they are gonna change it again, and flush and fill.....the thermostat is fine and the fan is working fine, other than that ill just have to wait until tuesday and try again, if i keep having problems with this jeep its going very soon, i dont have time to keep bring this thing to the shop. my life is to busy. and its a gas eater

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i gotta drop the jeep off on monday, they think its the water pump that was just replaced back in april, they think its defective,so they are gonna change it again, and flush and fill.....the thermostat is fine and the fan is working fine, other than that ill just have to wait until tuesday and try again, if i keep having problems with this jeep its going very soon, i dont have time to keep bring this thing to the shop. my life is to busy. and its a gas eater

Water pump is possible i've had the same exact problem in my old toyota. It ended up being a clogged radiator after i replaced the water pump and t/stat. 2 other family vehicles had the same problem and in both cases radiator was clogged. Easy way to tell is get it up to operating temp then remove the cooling fan and feel the radiator. If its clogged you'll feel the temp to be very inconsistent across the radiator.

Latest posts

Members online