Tapping sound from my engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need your opinion on something. My Liberty's 3.7 engine makes a mild tapping noise for a minute or two after I first start it up. After that I hear nothing at all and the engine sounds smooth. It has been happening for a while now. Is this serious? I'm sure it isn't but I just thought I'd ask you guys.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Normal. Nothing to worry about. In fact, I'd be worried if it didn't make the noise. :D

theholybull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its most likley the lifters. There is a chance that one could fail and cause the rocker arm to fall off. They are only about $8 each and not that hard to change.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told it's a good idea to use an oil filter with an anti-drainback valve in it - the cheap ones don't have one. The ticking is caused by the lifters not pumping up right away on a cold start. You can try using an engine flush additive at your next oil change. And use the proper oil. Thicker oil with amplify the problem.