Tapping noise at low speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When coasting at a low speed I hear what sounds like a tapping noise coming from the front end. It only happens in 2wd and stops if I apply the brake or gas. It sounds like a pebble in the tire treads.

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Check the rear boot on the front driveshaft. If it's cracked or gone, you'll need a replacement.

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check out the cv. The front driveshaft has already been replaced and I checked the boot again and it's intact.

Sdavis82

Reaction score
I put my jeep up on jack stands put it in 4x4 and let it idle moves the wheels slow enough I can listen for which part is making the sound

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I also just jack up the front end and spin the wheels will the engine is off and it's in 2wd to listen for the noise?

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put it on jack stands and could not find any issues. I brought it to the garage and they couldn't find any issues either. I can say though the front drive shaft is fine. It doesn't make any noise while turning and only when going straight at about 20 mph. Even then it tends to be a sporadic noise.