Talk me out of 215/85/16s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brendon Holt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom’s KJ’s with larger tires are regeared to 4.10. When he says he gets good mileage it’s no joke. I rode with him once and he was getting 24 mpg on a back road in northern Ohio according to his Scangauge. He said he can get 21-22 on the interstate at 80 mph. His KJ was built up with skids, rock sliders, ARB bumper, etc. so it was not stripped down to make it light.

Regearing with larger diameter tires is really the key. I’m running 31’s and average 12 mpg around town and 17 on the highway with stock 3.73 gears. Have researched regearing and would love to, but still saving up the $$$.

Wtf... HOW? Hahaha. There's some voodoo sh*t going on here. I'm not even running that large of tires, 245/70/16s. Still on 3.73s so not geared up or anything but still. I'm gonna cite living up in the rocky mountains. We don't have flat roads anywhere. Yeah, that's it ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wtf... HOW? Hahaha. There's some voodoo sh*t going on here. I'm not even running that large of tires, 245/70/16s. Still on 3.73s so not geared up or anything but still. I'm gonna cite living up in the rocky mountains. We don't have flat roads anywhere. Yeah, that's it ;)

Not anything voodoo at all
just building them right ( which some disagree with of course )
when you start building bob tail broncos,in the 70s Ford pickups with 38s, dodge 4WD van on 38s and 40s back in the 80s, XJs in the 90s etc you learn what they need and how to do it right.
not any tricks, common sense type things

Been driving the 05 a lot lately just to put some miles on it
running 925/947 OME springs, bilstein shocks , full JBA skids with just 245-65-17 tires ( its my lowest setting KJ )
I can run 4 days back and forth to work, 95-97 miles a day and I average putting 16-16.5 gallons of gas in after those 4 days.This is running 2 lane hilly crooked roads all the way except 4.5 miles of interstate everyday. NOT A FLAT ROAD ANYWHERE
Even with slowing down for Amish etc LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is anyone here running 215’s on stock rims?
I’m curious if there is an mpg advantage to doing it. Rarely off road, my gas KJ is a commuter with stock 225’s.
I'm on 215/75r16 tires with the stock 16x7 rims. This is the stock tire size too according to the door badge.
I wouldn't particularly recommend for or against it. They feel light no doubt. Turning is super tight. Traction is low though. Can easily burnout in 2WD and dry road. And accidentally burn out often when accelerating to merge in the rain.

Latest posts

Members online