Talk me out of 215/85/16s

Discussion in 'Tires / Wheels' started by Brendon Holt, May 18, 2020.

1. Brendon Holt

Brendon Holt Full Access Member

Like the title says... I'm intrigued because they are a similar sized outer diameter to the popular 245/75/16 but, I kinda like the small/skinny tire look/function, although they may be a bit too skinny. 235/75/16s are another option but they're a half inch smaller in outer diameter.

Am planning on an OME lift when I do change tires so I should have ample room for stuffing any of these under the Jeep. I'm not looking to regear so I don't really wanna surpass that 31"(ish) outer diameter number and any rolling resistance I can shave off by using a narrower tire helps too.

2. lfhoward

lfhoward Full Access Member

From TireSize.com: 215/75R16 tires have a diameter of 28.7", a section width of 8.5", and a wheel diameter of 16". The circumference is 90.1" and they have 703 revolutions per mile. Generally they are approved to be mounted on 5.5-7" wide wheels. (Emphasis mine)

The stock Liberty wheel is 7 inches wide, so you would be right at the edge of too narrow. This means you probably couldn't air down much while off-road because you'd be in danger of losing the bead and your tire going completely flat. I don't think I would do it.

Brendon Holt likes this.
  3. Brendon Holt

Yeah that's another issue I'm having with them :( 6" wheels are hard to come by. Granted I'm not sure how much I'd be airing down with the driving I plan on doing but it's better to have the option than not. Honestly my ideal tire size would be to run 235/85/16 but that's asking for regearing and a lot more work to get them to fit nicely into the wheel wells.

4. lfhoward

True. I considered 235/85R16's when I got tires this fall. I ended up going with 245/75R16 for more traction (larger contact patch with the ground). I have a 4" lift (more like 3.5" now) so rubbing isn't an issue. I do wish I had the $$$ to regear though. There is a tangible loss of power and efficiency going to this size, although it isn't a complete deal breaker. I will say that I can tell my load range E KO2's are heavier than the load range C Duratracs they replaced (same size), and the extra weight makes even more of a difference. Regearing is definitely in the plan at some point.

Brendon Holt likes this.
  5. Brendon Holt

I know the argument for a narrower tire (among others like rolling resistance and reduced weight and all that) is that when it comes to traction a narrower tire focuses the weight of the vehicle onto a smaller area which increases the amount force per unit of area pressing into the surface you're trying to grip. So that in some ways the narrower tire will grip "harder" than a wider tire in the same circumstance. Now, how much that actually cashes out in real life is something I'd like to see a more thorough test on.

I will say one strong argument for going with the usual 245/75/16s is you can run them on Moabs and that's a damn good argument in itself ;)

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  6. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Look at tire weight and how many ply they are as well, most of those are 8-10 ply and heavy

7. Brendon Holt

They're also just generally more expensive than a 245/75/16. More points against.

8. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Never did like narrow tires , I run 265-70-16s on my DD , fit perfect on Moabs
    as far as 245-75-16s fitting on Moabs , ues they do but tread is not wide enough in my opinion for an 8 inch wheel
    the only reason Jeep did it was due to advertising, they wanted to advertise a 8 inch wheel on the Rubicon, they wanted a 31 inch tall tire and wanted the MTR, only one available was the 245-75-16 so they ran with it

9. Brendon Holt

Yeah, you still have the risk of popping beads airing down a 245 on an 8" wheel right? What's the weight difference between the 245 and the 265?

10. Brendon Holt

[​IMG]

I wouldn't mind finding a set of these stock wheels to stay with a 16x7. I've never minded the look of those fat 5 spokes. Not a Moab but still decent. Oh, picture credit: I stole this from jrs05kj over at Lost Jeeps.

11. lfhoward

You can find Liberty wheels near you that don’t cost a lot on http://www.car-part.com. Recycle and reuse! :D

That’s how I got my 5th matching wheel to replace the doughnut spare. For $69 I even got a free working tire pressure sensor on it.

Brendon Holt likes this.