Take scratches off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
AH damn it #@$$%@#$@ the damn garbage men threw the garbage bags over my jeeps hood and picked them up last night. I shouldn't have parked near the garbage bags by the sidewalk, but there was no other spots.
There are huge scratches across the hood! ](*,)

any suggestions? I don't want to have color difference when I "lipstick" them so I wanted to avoid it, no clue what I can use now.

](*,)

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on how deep the scratches are. They might be able to be buffed out by a someone with car detailing skills. But if they are all the way through the paint then you would need to touch it up with some touch up paint.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea really. I would raise heck about that.

Heck, knowing me, I would go around and slash all the tires on the garbage trucks. but Im alittle crazy about my paint. :-s

If you can feel them with your finger nail(deep), you probably cannot get them out by hand.

If they catch your nail, then a pro may be able to buff them out to where they look ok.. :-k But probably will not be able to remove them all the way. ](*,)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The damn thing is I cannot prove it, there is no way, you have no idea. This is a city garbage company, even if I find out which truck it is they will say "you shouldn't have parked there in the first place" although there was enough space to the rear. Damn it, I hate it so much you have no idea. This city *****!
It looks like they are not that deep. I will take pix and post them for your eyes.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wet sand it for a couple minutes and see how much changes. If you can't tell after a couple minutes that this is a repairable scratch, then you give up the wet sanding because you're just chewing up your clear coat. I, personally.........use Brasso. Brasso cures all - any military man will tell you that. Scratched a CD? Brasso. Stains on anything? Soak it in Brasso. And scratches and swirls in your paint...diluted Brasso. Just use a clean fingertip and a lot of patience and you can fix it. Take breaks and wash the area off frewquently to prevent doing your own damage. If you need to use touchup paint to fill in a scratch, wipe the brush off until there is no paint on it at all and use the tip of a bristle or two to lay down a small amount of paint in layers over time and smooth out the "overspray" with claybar, a fingernail, and/or Brasso or some other mild abrasive to prevent caking along the edges. Say what you want, I have used it for years and it works like a charm for me.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to try a few things but I have to wait for the darn ice to melt, it is 20 out there and hood is covered in ice.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyedipin, that's a shame. I got some parking lot scratches and I'm careful where I park so I feel for you. Sounds like it was on purpose. I hate people like that. I haven't been able to get my scratches out either. That brasso idea sounds good. I would have to look into that.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the hood is dirty now because of the overnight snow & salt from the road.. 20 mile trip melted all the ice, and sun is up.
these are from my phone. but you can still see it.

You must be registered for see images

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
scratches

hyedipin said:
the hood is dirty now because of the overnight snow & salt from the road.. 20 mile trip melted all the ice, and sun is up.
these are from my phone. but you can still see it.

I think most of the scratches will come out with polishing compound, (not rubbing compound), be patient.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
libertyman said:
I would not touch it, make them pay for it

As I mentioned, I have no way of proving it, plus it is city "sanitation" dept, not a private company, so simply forget about that, unless I catch them bastards in action.

I will get it washed this week, I just wanted the snow to pass on, I will see how bad it looks after the wash.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definatly looks like it would buff out with a rotary buffer. Or it would at least make it look better, and then you wouldn't have to use touch-up paint at all.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
especko said:
definatly looks like it would buff out with a rotary buffer. Or it would at least make it look better, and then you wouldn't have to use touch-up paint at all.

would it make that area a shade darker/lighter, or do you think the coat is thick enough?

Jon, do you know any good body shops around us, whom i can trust?

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[quote="hyedipin
would it make that area a shade darker/lighter, or do you think the coat is thick enough?

Jon, do you know any good body shops around us, whom i can trust?[/quote]

I would have a detailer buff the whole hood and then focus on the scratches. You would be surprised with what a detailer can do with a rotary buffer.