Tailgate strut mount came unglued

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
The mount for the gas strut on my tailgate glass fell off. How in the world can this be glued back on ? I just opened the tailgate one day and bam, the passenger side mount for the strut to the glass fell off. Anybody had this problem before ? There is a door gasket on the body that the glass seals to. Then there is a semi hard rubber piece of molding going around the top window and down each side to the gas struts. This molding is glued to the glass. What adhesive is used on this ??

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has some info

Without knowing what adhesive they used, professional grade window urethane is a contender. When I worked in collision repair the 3m rep sold us some adhesive that could be used in place of welding certain unibody panels, I did a 20t frame pull on a scrap panel I tested and can confirm that has some crazy bonding power. I forget the name of it but if they still make it I feel it should be easy enough to find, but I would go with the window urethane if you can't find the exact stuff they used.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
JB Weld clear weld or Equalizer Kling-on. Surface prep is important in either case. I suggest 99% ethanol and/or toluene.

Latest posts

Members online