Tail light bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem with going through bulbs about every 8-12 months?

I finally went to the LED 3157s and so far so good. No other problems and still have never had an issue with the rest of the Libby other than that.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem with going through bulbs about every 8-12 months?

I finally went to the LED 3157s and so far so good. No other problems and still have never had an issue with the rest of the Libby other than that.
That's odd,bought my KJ Feb '02 and just 2 months ago finally the R/R brake light bulb went,replaced and no others have gone since.On road trips I generally only drive at night so I use my lights alot,I'm thinking 5+ years and only 1 bulb going is good.

Tip,do not touch the glass part of the bulb,wipe it off with a clean lint free clothe before install.The grease on your hands will shorten bulb life.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. But the other 05 I had also went through bulbs quickly as well in my opinion.

Hmmm.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yes, I have had that issue as well. Chrysler bulbs seem to be really cheap, IMO. I had to replace my CHMSL on my '04 after just about 9000 miles. This one, all bulbs seem to be working still after 18000 miles (today). It's been just a little over a year. My sister's '05 is still on all the original bulbs too.

More info on the LEDs please. :) Where did you get them from?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just replaced my RR bulb a couple of weeks ago, and I know on one of the local LOST guys KJ he had the same one go out. On mine I noticed that the filament had *just* broken at one of the uprights, and would occasionally make intermittent contact. I am thinking seriously about going with the LEDs when I get some extra money.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the plug in direct swap LEDs , I picked them up at Advanced Auto in the rice burner tweaker section. I think they ran about 17.00 for the pair. I didn't have time to go online , but could have found better ones probably cheaper on ledtronics.com or elsewhere. I don't remember what brand they were. I will see if I can find the package in the garage.

Here are a few links I found.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/3156_57_specs.htm
http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-33243.cfm
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/aut3157/

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the stoppers (brakes) I think you have no problem using LEDs since they don't blink.
for the signals you may need a regulator. When my brakes burned I looked for LEDs , they were $12 per light, while regulars were $4 pair, I decided to keep my regulars. If anyone has a picture for comparison please post, I would like to see how much brighter they are.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive yet to have a bulb blow.. Ive also had my silver stars for around 2 years and they are still going strong. Ive always heard they blow quick but Ive yet to have any problems.

I wouldnt mind to change out the brake light bulbs with some LEDS depending on how they look..

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 1 Silverstar go about 6 months after I put them in. I still have 1 in the box. Kinda pissed me off, too much money to just have one fail like that. I used latex gloves and all to ensure the bulb was not touched, but nooooooo!!! LOL!

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really liked them, but not the longevity I got out of them. Like everything else, some fail some don't.

I wondered if my alternator didn't have a regulator issue and cause the bulb issues at first, but I haven't had any other electrical issues, so I don't think so.