Tail gate 3rd hinge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody thought of this before?
The idea just came to me while I was driving my Jeep this morning!

If the weak link that is prohibiting us from adding more weight (gear) on the rear gate are the hinges why not add a third hinge to make that link stonger?

Has anybody tried this? Is it possible?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think its the hinge as much as the internal structure as all the weight is on the outer skin and the stiffener pieces on the inside of it.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. had n't thought of that. Was not thinking about hudge loads.
I had some thing like this in mind:

You must be registered for see images

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683398/3

Or maybe relocate the spare wheel to the left like TJ has done and leave room
for one canister right next to the wheel so that the gate handle is visible.

You must be registered for see images

The general idea is one or maybe two canisters attached to the spare tire holder,
not on the hitch, so that you can have the rear gate opened without having to move things arround.

Would like to hear boiler's opinion when it comes to metal hope he chimes in.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of instead of having the gate swing open, I as thinking about modding it to flip down like a truck.

I like that idea!!
but the question comes now as to where the spare tire goes? Roof rack? And that doesn't help with storage on the tailgate..

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking of instead of having the gate swing open, I as thinking about modding it to flip down like a truck.

i like it. but think about the hing on that idea. and as far as spare if its a reg. size spare leave it but if you got like 31's or bigger put it on a roof rack. just my $0.2