Synthetic oil and Earth Friendly Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wake up this morning and there is a sticky note on my laptop to look at two websites...

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx

and

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/

I'm not sure why I need to look at the amsoil, should I be switching to synthetic oil? As for the microgreen filter, that looks pretty cool. Anyone have any opinion on that? We like to fancy ourselves environmentalists, that's why I drive a Jeep, not a Bhummer :happy175:

sparkman70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my brother puts the amsoil in his gmc and love it.He says it run smoother and gos long in between oil changes as for the oil filter you got me on that on.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Synthetic or dino oil is whatever you want to use and there are many brands and everyone has their favorites.

Those paper filters seem expensive. I don't know anything about that brand. Some vehicles use the cartridge filters.

I don't know what to tell you about "the green question"? Just recycle everything you can? (no Bhummer as you said...haha)

Dave

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooh, another oil thread. (popcorn)

I know, right?!?! They usually get some good responses. I just figure, who knows when the boy will get home, he's watching movies with his best friend until god knows when, so I'm gonna throw a little oil on the fire (get it :happy175:) and ask why on earth should I use synthetic?!? And am I really gonna save the world with the oil filter that claims to save the environment?!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Synthetic or dino oil is whatever you want to use and there are many brands and everyone has their favorites.

Those paper filters seem expensive. I don't know anything about that brand. Some vehicles use the cartridge filters.

I don't know what to tell you about "the green question"? Just recycle everything you can? (no Bhummer as you said...haha)

Dave

x2. As long as you change the oil at good intervals appropriate for type of oil...what's the problem? :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
People use Synthetic for a few reasons that come to mind.
Better flow rate especially in cold to -48
Less carbon by-products.
Better cleaning Properties.
Longer duration between changes.
Regardless of what oil, as long as it meets the grade 5W-30 (Example) for your heep and you change it with a filter in normal range of 3000 to 5000 miles, you should be good to go.
I normally use Mobil 1 syn and have been changing it at 6Km or 3600 miles but it is still pretty clean. Next I am going to 7k or 4800 miles and see how it looks on dipstick.
With the price of syns some can get fairly $$ pricy. I get my Mobil 1 when on sale at WallMArt and still here it is about $40 for 5 quarts. Dino is so much less expensive and many have good results just keeping the ole dino clean.
I will also add: Look at your dipsticks and check levels every 2 weeks.
The worst thing is when the oil light comes on (like some we know in forums) who found out a little too late that their engine is toast.

Last edited:

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wanna see a real catfight? Go over to the oilburner section and ask which API Spec oil is better, CI-4+ or CJ-4. Bring your popcorn!:happy175:

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fram filters are no good? I used to just get oil changes done for free at the dealership, until I got fed up them always saying I need something fixed on my Jeep when there's nothing wrong-- just trying to suck money out of people. Which oil filter do you recommend?

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah what's wrong with Fram? The boy has always used them on our cars and such, I have the k&n in right now because it was the same price and I liked that I knew the brand.

Also with the synthetic, I thought that greatly increased the time between oil changes.. Why would you still be doing every 3,000 miles?

Archytekt

Reaction score
Fram Filter

I have been using FRAM filters for a while... just get the Extra Guard ones (I think that's what they are called...) I have also used NAPPA's "Gold" filter as well. I have not really noticed any difference. Synthetic will be cleaner in general regardless of which filter you use (still obviously matters if you use a filter that is just filled with "cardboard") because it breaks down less and wears down less and less quickly and leaves behind less residue because of all of this. Synthetic is better for your engine because of that fact that is does not break down as well so it lubricates better for longer but you should not switch back to conventional oil after using synthetic because after using synthetic the seals within your engine will not take as well to the conventional due to the different properties, or so i hear anyways.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah what's wrong with Fram? The boy has always used them on our cars and such, I have the k&n in right now because it was the same price and I liked that I knew the brand.

Also with the synthetic, I thought that greatly increased the time between oil changes.. Why would you still be doing every 3,000 miles?

I use mobil 1 10w30(what my jeep calls for) high milage from wall mart for 24$ for 5 qts, I can every 3000miles, I use it for the better cleaning, and at 3000miles the oil still looks pretty dark

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is not enough server space on this forum for all that is wrong with Fram oil filters.

Oh and synthetic oil does not mean longer OCI's,does not mean better protection(more so for gear oil),does not mean cleaner,as you know not cheaper.It has it's place but mainly just means that most of it(very few are a true 100% synthetic) is man made.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI for those that own a gasser KJ AND a CRD KJ - the same oil filter will fit on both - same thread size and gasket size - just have to be careful of the outside dimensions (length and diameter).