Sweet Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have lifted my crd KJ 2" and hav put on a Powertrax, and full skidplates -- I am almost there :)
I bought this 2003 model second hand back in 2005, it has so far costed me 63 thousand USD dollars,
everyone thinks I am crazy, but I love my Jeep !

I am about to buy some new BFG T/A for this, don´t know if I should get 245 /75 or 265 /70 yet.
To get:
-- bigger and betterlooking tires and a good looking Jeep
-- better mileage (we pay approx 2 - two - dollars for a litre fuel)
-- better roadhandling
-- better stability
-- better drivingcomfort
should I sell my original Jeep aluminium wheels and get some new wheels (steel,Cragars ?) and bigger tires ?

Due to Norwegian laws, our offroad activity is low and confined to small restricted areas.
Which means I will use these tires offroad about 1-4% a year, 50 % on bad, steep mountain roads on gravel, and the rest, 46%, on tarmac - low speed low quality high ways.

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is 63,000 is US dollars? if not, what does that come out to in US dollars?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would keep the stock rims and put some 245/70/16 A/T's on them. The reason I say this, you will get rubbing with anything bigger than that since you only have a 2" lift. You wouldnt need to worry about cutting or trimming the fenders, worrying about a loss in torque or a loss in gas mileage. O:)

Thats my .02..

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I would keep the stock rims and put some 245/70/16 A/T's on them. The reason I say this, you will get rubbing with anything bigger than that since you only have a 2" lift. You wouldnt need to worry about cutting or trimming the fenders, worrying about a loss in torque or a loss in gas mileage. O:)

Thats my .02..

Thanks for the input, it helps me VERY much!!

I am about to buy me a pair of front trim spacers, as shown here:
http://www.rocky-road.com/kjome.html
will they give some more lift ?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may net a slight increase in lift but if you run 245/75/16 tires you will have no problems with rubbing. I would suggest this size tire because:

A.) You are only putting a 2" lift on and after settling it will slightly decrease.
B.) 245/75/16 tires will fit great on your stock rims. If you buy steel wheels you are guaranteed to loose gas mileage as they are much heavier wheels than stock.
C.) I run 265/70/16 with a 2" BDS lift kit. I had to do pinch weld trimming and front fender trimming (which the front still needs more). If I go off-road I will stuff my tires and probably rip off the fender! I only off-road probably 2-3% of the year. I also have the Cragar 397 steel wheels which are very heavy. I plan to buy 245/75/16's shortly though to allow for off-road driving at the Sand Dunes or local spots.

Good luck with your choice!

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
You may net a slight increase in lift but if you run 245/75/16 tires you will have no problems with rubbing. I would suggest this size tire because:

A.) You are only putting a 2" lift on and after settling it will slightly decrease.
B.) 245/75/16 tires will fit great on your stock rims. If you buy steel wheels you are guaranteed to loose gas mileage as they are much heavier wheels than stock.Good luck with your choice!

Thank you very much for the help!

Do you think this spacers at USD 40 a set, and USD 39 to ship -- is a waste of money?

I will look into 245/75 dimension.

What is the real world difference between the 255/70 - 16 which my tyre retailer suggested and 245/75 - 16 ?

Latest posts

Members online