Sway bar end link bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The bottom bolt on one of my sway bar endlinks lost the little tab that keeps it from spinning (tab hits the control arm). It's a major PITA to use two wrenches. I tried my local dealer and they said it's been discontinued and ordered me the new part number, which doesn't have the tab.
The bolt:
You must be registered for see images attach

How the tab roughly was (guess I could get a pic of the other side, but most of ya should know what it is)

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I had the same experience... of course they charge you first here .. then order it .. only then do you find out they don't add the tab anymore. Thumbs down ...lol

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
We've replaced mine (tabless) with parts from the hardware store... since we have to use 2 wrenches anyway. :disgust:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used two wrenches (or wrench & socket) on mine, even though the bolts still have the tabs. Force of habit since 99.9% of all bolts/nuts on cars I've worked on don't have keeper tabs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tabs been off mine for 5-6 years, socket in behind, socket in front on and off fast. Never worry about it really and I have mine apart every few months at least

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have specs for the lower bolt? I know it's an 18mm...but anyone have thread specs? I guess i can bring a bolt up to Home Depot or Lowes, but I assume that they're not gonna have it.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is using two wrenches or a wrench and a socket such a bad thing? There are thousands of applications where that is how you remove or tighten a bolt...

Feels kinda like nitpicking about something inconsequential.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm lazy LMFAO

and as for the thread, no idea...but just get a new nut and it won't matter. I'd go to an autoparts store.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom bolt on one of my sway bar endlinks lost the little tab that keeps it from spinning (tab hits the control arm). It's a major PITA to use two wrenches. I tried my local dealer and they said it's been discontinued and ordered me the new part number, which doesn't have the tab.
The bolt:

How the tab roughly was (guess I could get a pic of the other side, but most of ya should know what it is)

I just replaced mine with bolts from mcmaster-carr. cost way less than buying the same thing in a mopar baggie, as an added bonus now the bolt head and nut are both 18mm

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have specs for the lower bolt? I know it's an 18mm...but anyone have thread specs? I guess i can bring a bolt up to Home Depot or Lowes, but I assume that they're not gonna have it.

part number 98093A775 from mcmaster-carr is what i used for both the upper and lower swaybar link bolts, they are an M12x1.75mm 70mm in length. (same as the factory bolts).

for the nuts I ordered 99908A104, class 10 flanged nylon locknuts that are zinc yellow-chromated.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
part number 98093A775 from mcmaster-carr is what i used for both the upper and lower swaybar link bolts, they are an M12x1.75mm 70mm in length. (same as the factory bolts).

for the nuts I ordered 99908A104, class 10 flanged nylon locknuts that are zinc yellow-chromated.
Just a bit too late. I found out by bringing the bolts to Ace yesterday. [emoji16] Good info to have up here. I actually replaced both top and bottom with this size because Ace didn't have the smaller bolt to use for the top.

Also, I did both sides. The second side I literally had to snap the bolts off.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could make these if there is enough interest. I could make the tab out of 14g or 12g which should be stronger than the stock tab.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a M12-1.75x 70mm. Ace Hardware has them in the 10.9 hardness.