swapping the 545RFE for a manual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wondering what all would be involved in the process of swaping out the automatic in the crd for a manual shift. if yall think im crazy, please... its only fair i get in line behind the SFA folks as far as being chastized for visions of this scale. prolly just sell the thing b4 that happens but it would b a fun excersise on paper for me no less

joking aside, suppose there is some hardware and software needed. but hey if they have em in europe....

comments welcome..... and het tonycrd... what r ur rpms at 60mph?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wondering what all would be involved in the process of swaping out the automatic in the crd for a manual shift. if yall think im crazy, please... its only fair i get in line behind the SFA folks as far as being chastized for visions of this scale. prolly just sell the thing b4 that happens but it would b a fun excersise on paper for me no less

joking aside, suppose there is some hardware and software needed. but hey if they have em in europe....

comments welcome..... and het tonycrd... what r ur rpms at 60mph?
Can be done,the select trac t-case will have to go.

How much money are you willing to spend?

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not looking at this as a design to cost project. So what im willing to spend doesnt play. Im looking to build quotes and technical info on what it takes. Kinda like a white paper if you will. :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well your looking at........

1)New PCM with export programing/manual ******
2)New BCM with export programing and for a manual ******
(both 1 and 2 are to delect the TCM and auto ****** inputs)
3)Transmission w/shifter
4)T-case other then the select trac(select trac will not work with the manual ******,binding issues in full time)
5)New ******/t-case crossmember(?)
6)New driveshafts(rear at least)
7)All the clutch pedal and actuating parts

That's just a start.Going from a auto to a stick is way harder then going from a stick to a auto.Granted with the newer electronic vehicles doing it either way is very hard since the auto has alot of sensors to control how the vehicle operates that the manual ****** does not have so those different input sensors are needed and the reason for the reprogramming of the PCM and BCM to delete those auto ****** inputs.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need to find what manuals would fit, wonder if there is one that would work w/ the selec-trac.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need to find what manuals would fit, wonder if there is one that would work w/ the selec-trac.
It's not the manual ****** that is the problem with the select trac,it's the select trac mounted behind a manual ****** will cause binding from the sudden unloading and loading of the drivetrain from a manual ****** and will cause binding much like it's acting like it's in part time 4wd when you have it in full time 4wd.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy: I know you have your hart set on a V8 swap but ever thought about a V6 Diesel (made by Audi or so?) Ah darn, you are paying more for Diesel then for Gas now. Forget about it.
The exact type of engine I will be using is still not set in stone.The 4.7 V-8 is one of the choices.There is a deisel on my short list to(2.8 CRD).I'm not ruling out the deisel(for massive low end torque) and the price of fuel is not the issue,it's all about if it will be legal here in the state of Colorado.Actually the 4.7 and 2.8 are the only 2 engines on my short list.I have to use a engine that will bolt up to the 45RFE ******(or 545RFE,same bellhousing) and be able to fit in the KJ engine bay.I'm not spending another $500 for a custom belly pan and $500 to change my AtlasII to mount to another ******.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so then the Grand's 3.0 crd ....:D Think that will fit? High on top of my wish list...
Nope,at least the 4.7 and 2.8 I won't have a high level of modifying to do,the 4.7 uses the same motor mounts,in the same location,the 2.8 mounts are available for the KJ so it's a easy swap also.Plus the 3.0 V-6 might be a tad big for the KJ's engine bay,I haven't looked to see how the turbo and exhuast are routed.

Pablo

Reaction score
It would be awesome if you did the 2.8. That way the rest of us would know about any 2.8 specific issues with the SFA conversion. :)

Also, many look for 2.8's out of a wrecking yard, what about marine and generator applications? I would look there as well. One advantage to that is that they have all steel internals instead of the aluminum heads. Of course, then you would still need the accessory parts from a donor vehicle.

Magnum

Reaction score
good luck finding a crashed one with a stick, on auto trader only 3 crds with manual trannie listed in the U.S.