$1450 for a clutch? I don't think so..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

auburn4193

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was asking around at the local Jeep dealerships for a quote to get my timing belt and water pump replaced on my '03 2.4 KJ. I also asked for a quote on a clutch for the manual trans. The owners manual calls for the timing belt and water pump at 90k which is coming up soon on me (84k). I thought well seeing how the clutch is getting on up there in miles it wouldn't hurt to replace it as it feels like it's got some age on it. The timing/belt water pump quote didn't seem too outrageous however the quote on the clutch nearly made me fall out on the floor laughing. Sure it will take a few hours to take apart, but it's a $150 clutch kit. Also, the "90K" service is a joke, I do half that stuff when I change my own oil.

Here is the e-mail I got in response:

Your quotation on a 90k service is separate from a timing belt/water pump service. They are listed below along with the clutch replacement quote.

90k Service - $659.95 includes: oil/filter change, rotate tires, balance tires, inspect tires, set tire pressures, replace air filter, replace in-cabin air filter, replace wiper blades, perform complete air/fuel induction service, perform transmission flush, perform a/c deodorizing service, perform battery protection service, replace spark plugs, perform multi point inspection, install engine treatment, top off all fluids.

Timing belt/Water pump: $666.78

Clutch-includes: pressure plate/disc, release bearing, flywheel $1440.20 (if we can resurface your flywheel, we can take off $450.00) $990.20

All prices include parts and labor.

Anyone shed any light on what all is involved with replacing the clutch? I am considering doing it myself.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for starters you can not machine your flywheel,it has a special shape which will disappear if machined and your clutch will not work right.If there are not any un-even surfaces or deep scratches hitting the flywheel with 80 grit sandpaper is okay but not recommended.

So the $1000 for the clutch install and clutch is pretty standard anywhere you go for most 4wd vehicles.So that $450 for the flywheel is actually a deal as the MSRP is $529 for that flywheel,cheapest I've seen is about $360 from online dealers but got to add shipping.Not by anymeans a rippoff.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way too much for everything listed, especially in today's economy. Why not wait for the clutch when it starts to give trouble, you probably know the symptoms-it's not something that will just fail overnite.
There is nothing that you cannot do yourself - if money is the object- plus you know you did it right.
Most mechanics think they are worth more than they are- so what if it takes us a little longer to do the job at least we know what we did and next time it will be easier. Unless you do not have the time(meaning your time is worth more than $100 per hour)do it yourself.

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
i did mine in about 5 hours. But I took my time, shot the breeze with my buddy and used his 4 post lift.lol

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most mechanics think they are worth more than they are-.
You need a reality check,what a shop charges for 1 hour labor is nowhere near what the tech get's paid for that hour.There is alot of overhead in that labor charge to heat the building,pay the electric bill, buy/fix the shop tools(lifts and such) which is very expensive,and not to mention some profit so the shop can stay open.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
,and not to mention some profit so the shop can stay open.

Ah you said the evil word, Do you Think this is a capitalist society, and that profit should be encouraged and not hated and put down,

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with tjkj2002 on this one. Basically you get what you pay for. Quality price for quality parts & labor.

It is possible to do the labor yourself but I'd recommend you have somebody with you that has done it before. Both driveshafts have to be dropped as well as the transfer case & transmission. Add more time if there's skidplates in the way.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to mention what LibertyFever said...it involves dropping the transmission. A clutch job may sound simple, but there is a lot of work involved.

Also, when getting a replacement clutch, don't go cheap. You want one that will last a long time, not just a year or two.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to mention what LibertyFever said...it involves dropping the transmission. A clutch job may sound simple, but there is a lot of work involved.

Also, when getting a replacement clutch, don't go cheap. You want one that will last a long time, not just a year or two.

I actually know somebody who has pulled the engine to change the clutch. Seems to me like more work not less.

Please keep us updated auburn4193 on what you decide to do.

Latest posts

Members online