Swapped V6 Fan for CRD Metal Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to finish putting the front of my 2005 Liberty CRD back together after a longer then expected service involving Timing and serpentine belt and associated parts, turbocharger and glow plugs.

Also will be installing DieselJeepLuvrs thermostat housing, so I'm wondering if people who have installed this 11 blade V6 fan are still happy with the overall effects of this modification.
The reason I am thinking about this is out in the boonies where I live, road conditions generally necessitate slower driving speeds and while my CRD doesn't have any overheating problems (knock wood) I am thinking that installing this fan will increase airflow over the AC condensor / IC and radiator at the slower driving speeds.

Also need to double check if I can simply install this 11 blade fan on the existing CRD viscous fan clutch, which is still working fine, or if it is best to upgrade to the Hayden clutch as well.

I can get the Dorman version of the 11 blade fan from Roackauto for $76

Thoughts?

Last edited:

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess that I may as well ALSO ask if I broke forum etiquette by asking a valid question but in a 12 year old thread?? :confused:

Ive always been of the mind that resurrecting threads is better then starting new ones, as long as the question is valid and pertains directly to the thread being resurrected from the dead.

That said, I DO realize that others will have different feelings bout that, so please feel free to lemme know if I should simply start a new thread about this 11 blade fan mod.

TIA

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
No problem. Most here have the v6. LOSTJEEPS has the most info on the 2.8 CRD. I haven't done the v6 fan mod on mine but I have notes on it. I did modify my fan shroud by cutting it in half and reconnecting the pieces. Photos (maybe) somewhere on this forum. High temps don't happen much here in Alaska so not much need for cooling solutions.

The v6 airbox is another CRD mod. I think it raises the intake a little.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^"Most here have the v6. LOSTJEEPS has the most info on the 2.8 CRD."

Thanks for that distinction which I didn't know much about.
Though I have had my Liberty KJ CRD for about 100k, I have only started lurking here and LostJeeps recently since most of my extra time is spent on TDR and CumminsForum talking about the mighty Cummins ISB in my 2005 Ram.

That said, I also love my Libby and since it was time for the "dreaded" timing belt service at 205k, which then (as I mentioned) also turned into a turbo and glow plug replacement, I figured thagt I would look into other functional mods with the coolant system completely drained and front of the Jeep still entirely removed.

I ended up ordering the Dorman 11 blade fan and Hayden HD fan clutch from RockAuto for less then $150 delivered to me on Monday In the meantime I should be able to get the rest of the front of the engine and coolant pipes and modded thermostat hooked back up over the weekend. If anything special comes up with the fan blade install and/or fan shroud trimming, Ill post back.

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not had an issue with the metal fan on my CRD but it doesn't get as hot here.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Its true that I also live in a temperate climate (North Cali), but I intuitively like the idea of getting the VM oil burner to run a little hotter with the 203*F thermostat mod and then being able to pull more airflow through the radiator with this fan mod .... BOTH mods will help keep the operating temp where its supposed to be. :)

Last edited:

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^
Nice...Which exact thermostat and thermostat housing mod did you choose to go with??

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^
Nice...Which exact thermostat and thermostat housing mod did you choose to go with??
I bought the standard style one, I found a Polish made one as I'm not a fan of Chinese junk. It's actually 88°C not 90, there are two options, 80° and 88°. I did consider machining the old one to take a drop in thermostat but I'm lazy and the old one lasted 5+ years.
You must be registered for see images attach

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, you probably know already but just in case... only use HOAT coolant, the CRD is a wet sleeve design and will wormhole on standard coolant, it will also turn into jelly if its mixed with other fluids.