surviving the winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so is hella cold up here right now (grand forks, ND) i dont have a block heater but prolly getting one over winter break.

how long does it take to get the jeep up to a safe/ non-damaging running temp. i usually wait till the RPMs get down to 1000 if i need to go somewhere fast, longer if i need to wait for someone. is this long enough. what else can i do to make the winter easy on the jeep.

2003KJ

Reaction score
rpm's down to 1000? What does it normally idle at? Mine will rev up to maybe 1500 or so but come down to 1000 pretty quick.

Depending on how cold it is, I'd probably give it about 5 or so minutes of warm up time.

us southern folk dont have to worry about THAT cold of temperatures.....plus i got a garage soo.. \:D/

But 5 minutes should do it. Yeah you're burning some extra gas, but in the long run, your engine will thank you.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait until the temperature needle moves to just past the Cold mark, before engaging gear, is my rule. It heats up pretty quick after that. With a block heater, at -25 C that takes about 3 minutes. Other rule is to use block heater at anthing colder than -10 C. I use a timer to turn it on at 4:30 AM, turn off at 7:00 when I start it up.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually take it easy for the first couple of miles because even if you warm up the engine the rest of the drivetrain is still stone cold. Also, running 5w30 synthetic helps.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always wait till the temp moves above the C before engaging. Also do not rev the engine high, drive slow and normal as your ****** and other components are still frozen cold.

Its easier with a standard cause the general rule is don't go over 3k on the tach until its warmed up!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Whelan said:
Its easier with a standard cause the general rule is don't go over 3k on the tach until its warmed up!

wow...i don't even hit 2K untill mine's warmed up...lol.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold starts are hard during the winter and I used to pull right into gear (gotta get to work mentality). I have been more faithful to the jeep and I let it run for 10 minutes in the morning. I don't have a garage (not yet!) so its freezing cold from frost and the elements.

Since I have been warming it up I found it drives much better to work. It doesn't jump or shift silly like it used to when its super cold. However, I do hear the creak creak noise from the suspension when I go over a bump right after she warms up a bit.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Whelan said:

wow...i don't even hit 2K untill mine's warmed up...lol.

Same here. I let it sit around a min depending on how cold it is. If its under 30 Ill let it sit alittle longer. Then Ill keep the rpms under 2k till it gets to full operating temp..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't afford to wait long since I am mostly running late.. I just start and go. 8-[

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks

seems like i should just keep takin'er easy. i guess there's not much that can be done about the cold gears and such. is there a space heater that can plub into a car. the vents never seem to be blowing hot air until i pull into my parking space.

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
joke

its not really a problem , im usually not in the vehicle for more than 10 mins at before i get anywhere.

Latest posts

Members online