Summer 2014 - PNW Volunteer & Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
After yesterday's update, I made the choice to drive to the entrance of Mt. Ranier National Park so that way I'd be there and ready to go first thing in the morning. Most of that trip was after dark - which is normally something I won't do when traveling this way. I like to see where I am (and more importantly, what I'm missing). Lots of dark and winding roads, a few deer on the side of the road to keep me alert, but otherwise a non-eventful drive.

Almost.

I was approaching the small town of Ashford from the west. It was near or after 11:00 pm. I noticed emergency flares and equipment from quite a distance up the road. As I reached the flares, I was approached by a gentleman who told me that on the road just ahead, a tree had fallen and took out the power lines. The lines were across the road. They were waiting for the power company to come and cut the power so they could cut up the tree and remove it from the roadway. I had the option to go back one town... about 15 miles back, or to pull over into the church parking lot at the side of the road to wait (he suspected it wouldn't be more than an hour to remedy the issue). He informed me that the church doors were open in case anyone needed to use the restroom while they waited. So, I waited.

The later it got, the more I wished I could just stay parked where I was for the evening and then finish the short drive to the park once I had gotten up. Just before they cleared the road, I was talking to another lady and her daughter in the parking lot. Conversation touched on how I was from out of state. I happened to mention to her that I wondered if anyone would mind if I remained where I was parked for the night... and she informed me that the gentleman I'd originally talked to when I stopped was the pastor of the church! Nice! As the waiting cars filed out of the church parking lot, I walked up and explained that I was from out of state, unfamiliar with the area, and super tired... and I asked him if he would mind if I crashed in the Jeep until morning. He was totally cool with it. Gotta love small town folk sometimes.

Thank you!
You must be registered for see images attach

I was up and rolling again by just a little after 7:00 am. I think I was located way down in a valley, because this monstrosity of a mountain was nowhere to be seen. And I started to become a little concerned with the clouds I saw off in the distance - I was afraid that Mt. Ranier was going to play the same game of hide-and-go-seek that Mt. Hood did earlier in the week. But, I was already there and continued...

Fortunately, I was wrong and had been looking in the wrong direction. It wasn't until just before I reached the first visitor center within the park that the mighty mountain came into view for the first time.

Pictures really don't do it justice... particularly cell pictures.

I noticed as I made my way through the park that there were a very large amount of waterfalls here too... and it took a lot of restraint on my part to not stop and photograph EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of them.

I can't decide what I stopped to photograph more of... the waterfalls or the mountain.

I made myself progress through the park, and I was out on the east side by noon. Determined to make some distance, I hoped to get into Spokane before calling it an evening.

Some of my scenery along US Highway 2 - reminds me of the default Windows XP desktop wallpaper.

I arrived in Spokane by 6:30 pm, stopped at a truck stop along the interstate to get a shower, fuel and dinner... and then decided to push on since I still had some daylight left.

So tonight, I reside in the lovely town of Sandpoint, Idaho. Tomorrow's goal is to get in, and through Glacier National Park. This includes a trip up to the Polebridge Mercantile and Kintla Lake... as well as across Going To The Sun Road. It should make for a very full day.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jayme, I am SO JEALOUS... :waytogo:

Thanks for keeping us in the loop - great pictures and narrative!

Bob

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't updated in awhile, so I'll get y'all back up to speed.

While I was away, I received a call from my supervisor. It seems they want to extend me a Team Lead position - more hours (a good thing), a supervisory role (also a good thing... I hope), and overall a good move for me considering I've been with the company 2 years.

That said, I came back earlier than I'd hoped for this trip. Normally, I'd start back to work at the end of July... but for this, I'm needed the week after July 4th. So I'm back already, getting some things taken care of around home. I'm not sure yet what the new schedule is going to look like, so I thought I'd get ahead here at home.

On the plus side, I've just started digging into photos from the trip, and have a few processed. I'll share a few of those. :)

This is one from Rialto Beach near Forks/LaPush, WA. I was really pulling for good sunset weather, but this moody cloud/storm thing that was happening was kind of neat too.

Same area, different view:

And one more (for now). This was taken on the hiking trail to get to the Sol Duc Falls in Olympic National Park. While the big falls were outstanding, I think there's something to be said for these little guys too. :)

^^^THIS is why it killed me to only have the ability to shoot with the cell phone.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're a very talented photograper, Jayme. Beautiful pics!

I'm selfishly sorry you're back in Chicago - I was really enjoying the travelogue!

Bob

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You're a very talented photograper, Jayme. Beautiful pics!

I'm selfishly sorry you're back in Chicago - I was really enjoying the travelogue!

Bob

Thanks. :)

I'm kinda sad to be back too... but it's given me more ideas of places to go more locally to get some good shots. Been looking at the U.P. for waterfall locations. Granted, I can't get the mountain shots here... but I'll make due. :emotions34:

It's a shame that I'm not really into architectural photography... since that's what there is an overabundance of here. :p

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Here are a few more for now - these are from my trip out, so they are lacking in the mountainous, oceany-ness...

Hanover Bank & Trust - Johnstown, NE

South Twin Lake - Central/Western Iowa

Here's a stormy one from the IA/NE state line.

And this prairie dog, for fun - in Nebraska.

More later.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
American Bison
Niobraba National Wildlife Refuge
Valentine, Nebraska

Fort Falls
Ft. Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge
Valentine, Nebraska

Prairie Landscapes (notice the Pronghorn to the right of the building - I didn't see him at the time)
Eastern Wyoming

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
More views from western Nebraska/eastern Wyoming...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
More backcountry exploring in eastern Wyoming.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Wandering the old Pony Express and Oregon Trails...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Some from inside Yellowstone National Park...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
More from inside Yellowstone:

I love these guys - I wish we had them around home.

Lower Yellowstone Falls

Upper Yellowstone Falls

Still pretty significant for early/mid June...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
More from Yellowstone...