Suggestions on aftermarket radio install kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to install an aftermarket stereo in my daughter's 2005 Libergade. Would like to go right to the correct unit versus comparing all the different kits. I assume it would include the mounting hardware, electrical harness adapter and also the antenna adapter. Anyone have a model number that I can just order from Best Buy or Amazon and just be done with it?
Thanks in advance,
Mark

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frustrated by ads that say "fits MOST". Yup, that's what I want to order...

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to Crutchfield.com. they are really helpful with finding what fits and usually include the mounting hardware and harness. Just remember to buy the antenna extender/adapter

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for Crutchfield...plus if you get stuck with the install, tech support is available...even on weekends.

BTW, I just installed a a new headunit from Crutchfield in my KJ and the entire process including removing OEM headunit, soldering the harnesses together, and installing new headunit took less than 1 hour and I was working slowly and deliberately....

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crutchfield is too rich for our blood. The brand new Pioneer AM/FM/CD unit with USB and input jack was only $39. Looking for something in a kit for $20 like BestBuy advertises. Just need the verification of the correct kit.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crutchfield is too rich for our blood. The brand new Pioneer AM/FM/CD unit with USB and input jack was only $39. Looking for something in a kit for $20 like BestBuy advertises. Just need the verification of the correct kit.
If you would have bought the deck from them the install kit comes free,well it used to and still does as far as I know.

$39 Sony deck is either used or a refurbished.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have sold metra for over 3 years and they are good. Their site list all the accessories you may need under a model quick search so no brainer.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metra 70-6502 Receiver Wiring Harness
Connect a new car stereo in select 2002-08 Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles

Item #: 120706502 $12.99 or free with radio purchase

************************************************************************************************************

Metra 99-6503 Dash Kit
Fits select 1998-2009 Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Plymouth vehicles — single-DIN radios $14.99 or free with radio purchase

Item #: 120996503

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you would have bought the deck from them the install kit comes free,well it used to and still does as far as I know.

$39 Sony deck is either used or a refurbished.

It's a Pioneer, brand new Black Friday purchase.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metra 70-6502 Receiver Wiring Harness
Connect a new car stereo in select 2002-08 Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles

Item #: 120706502 $12.99 or free with radio purchase

************************************************************************************************************

Metra 99-6503 Dash Kit
Fits select 1998-2009 Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Plymouth vehicles — single-DIN radios $14.99 or free with radio purchase

Item #: 120996503

This was just what I was looking for. I saw the Metra brand, didn't know if it was the right stuff. Just needed a recommendation. Thanks.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have sold metra for over 3 years and they are good. Their site list all the accessories you may need under a model quick search so no brainer.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Just what I needed.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got all the Metra stuff from BestBuy. Now waiting for the temp to climb a bit so I don't shatter the dash piece by trying to remove at 5 degrees. Thanks everyone for all the info.
Mark

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post pics of the finished project.....

Will do. Looks pretty simple. I intend to slip heatshrink tubing onto the wires and twist them together letting the shrink tube slide back over the joint holding them apart. When all is verified well, I will slip the shrink off and solder the joints and then slip the shrink tube back over the joint and add heat to shrink them.

Anyone know of any issues with the wire harness? Or do I just match colors and go?

Mark

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Metra wiring schematic is dead on....depending on the bells and whistles on your headunit you many need one of the specialty wires that are included but otherwise just match 'em up per the diagram...good luck !

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing worth paying extra thru Crutchfield is the customer support. They have the best customer support I've ever seen and willing to make things right if you're not happy. Check out their open box specials. I bought a Pioneer HU from them for like $65 bucks because the box came open and the manual and remote control battery was missing(retail was about $175). Took 2 minutes to download a pdf manual, and I used the battery from an old Hu remote I found in the closet. Worth checking it out

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab®4 on 38's