sudden transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WestlakeOH

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade with around 172K. about a week or so the transmission without warning wouldn't go into gear or would go out of gear after making a turn. There were no warning lights or thudding, slipping etc.

when I start the vehicle, I can go through all the gears and put the vehicle into reverse and then into drive and start moving until making a sharp turn and then nothing - no drive or reverse. Then if I turn off the vehicle and restart, I have transmission functions again and engages Reverse through drive.

The transmission fluid seems fine and there are no visible leaks under the vehicle. I'm fearing the worse but hope there are some suggestions here before I take to the transmission shop.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So if you just turn the wheels when sitting, will you loose drive or reverse?

Or do you have to be driving and then turn for it to act up?

I've never heard of that happening before. Never. Might be the best to just get the clutch value indexes read at a shop.

WestlakeOH

Reaction score
So if you just turn the wheels when sitting, will you loose drive or reverse?

Or do you have to be driving and then turn for it to act up?

I've never heard of that happening before. Never. Might be the best to just get the clutch value indexes read at a shop.

I've turned the wheel while reversing out of my driveway with no effect and was able to put in drive and move forward. It was only after making a turn (left or right) that transmission disengages.

Probably best just to take to shop.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Head to the best and closest transmission shop, along with someone following along behind you.
Have seen same issues a few times before , one guy called with this problem, started to drive 25 miles to my place, didn't get here

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a weird transmission problem. Never head of anything like it. My first though it fluid is too low, but it should slosh around any direction so turning shouldn’t be an issue.
Maybe the pump or pickup screen if it’s in the transmission.

Do the 2005 liberties have levers or buttons to engage 4 wheel drive? Maybe it’s shorting out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What a weird transmission problem. Never head of anything like it. My first though it fluid is too low, but it should slosh around any direction so turning shouldn’t be an issue.

Do the 2005 liberties have levers or buttons to engage 4 wheel drive? Maybe it’s shorting out?

ALL KJs have levers

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALL KJs have levers

Ok. IMO That is better than the commanders and GC. Even the down shift up shift in those jeeps can go bad causing the transmission to get stuck in gear like Limp Home mode. Restarting usually reset its.

Anyway I Never liked it when jeep used vacuum or electric switches to engage 4 wheel drive.

WestlakeOH

Reaction score

there is the shift lever next the drivers seat to engage the four-wheel drive. The "Part-Time" light on the dash would come on periodically even though the Part-Time four-wheel was not engaged. From what I read, this was the effect of a faulty switch accessible at the top of the transmission (replacing through removing center shift consol). When the Part-Time light would come on we could get it to go off by jiggling the 4-wheel shift lever but not actually engaging it. From what I read, this faulty sensor reading was just that and the 4-wheel system was not "engaging".

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
there is the shift lever next the drivers seat to engage the four-wheel drive. The "Part-Time" light on the dash would come on periodically even though the Part-Time four-wheel was not engaged. From what I read, this was the effect of a faulty switch accessible at the top of the transmission (replacing through removing center shift consol). When the Part-Time light would come on we could get it to go off by jiggling the 4-wheel shift lever but not actually engaging it. From what I read, this faulty sensor reading was just that and the 4-wheel system was not "engaging".

Yes thats true, my 04 had the same issue for 3 or 4 years , would come on then go off, never bothered me any

WestlakeOH

Reaction score
So I took the Renegade to a trusted transmission shop today and it turns out the oil cooler line is leaking pretty good. I felt kind of foolish as there were no drippings under the jeep at all but when he looked under just past the front bumper, you could see the all the leaking fluid. So now I'm looking to replace the transmission cooler lines which when searched the "how to" on this forum seems to be a rather difficult job if you don't have a lift. I order the line from Rock Auto and will give it a try.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn off the ESP IA the steering column button and see if it persists to do the same thing.

Mine did something similar in the past. Long story short it turned out to be the battery shorting out. The battery had a cell going bad shorting I guess. I would have never in a million years guessed battery. But during the process of restarting and crap I heard it drag randomly a time or two. When I got it moving I took the short trip to the parts store. It tested bad.

Also ironically, the parts store guy hooked up inside to keep alive while he did the swap. Lefts aftrewards and it did the same thing again. I was like crap! I just put a brand new battery in and my trans is gone. Got to thinking. Unhooked the battery, went inside, curled up in the fetal position. Went back out later, hooked it back up and drove off without a hitch since.

I think in my case the computer just got spazzed out with the bad battery and it just stayed drunk until caused a cold boot. I think the system started thinking it was sensing a slip causing the torque limit to try to operate.

Hope your issue is as non fatal.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So I took the Renegade to a trusted transmission shop today and it turns out the oil cooler line is leaking pretty good. I felt kind of foolish as there were no drippings under the jeep at all but when he looked under just past the front bumper, you could see the all the leaking fluid. So now I'm looking to replace the transmission cooler lines which when searched the "how to" on this forum seems to be a rather difficult job if you don't have a lift. I order the line from Rock Auto and will give it a try.

I don't see how that would be causing this issue, as long as the fluid level was correct.

WestlakeOH

Reaction score
I don't see how that would be causing this issue, as long as the fluid level was correct.

I had placed additional fluid in the transmission and it worked fine for few days and then it started having issues again. Because I didn't see any leaks on the ground below the jeep, I didn't think a "leak" was the issue. When I went to the transmission shop, I was very low on fluid and I made the mistake of checking the fluid in Park vs. in Neutral.

I ended up having the transmission shop replace the entire cooler line assembly (they were all rusted and leaking) as I don't have the time right now to attempt myself. total bill including parts was about $400. I had also ordered the cooler lines from Rock Auto and I may keep them as I have another 05 Renegade with similar high miles and I bet those lines are pretty rusted as well.