Sudden surging and blowing smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desmo750ss

Reaction score
I was driving home from work and all of a sudden when I would accelerate it would start surging and smoke. this is how it went, rev-up, starve and loose power, smoke a lot, and back to rev-up, etc. I ended up feather-footing it home about 10 miles but surging all the way home. During the surging, I heard a loud air-rushing sound too. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance. (Other than that, I love the CRD!)
Hans in San Jose, CA

flman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blew a hose off the charge air system??

I have seen this happen with air in the fuel, but did not get the loud air rushing going on.

devnul

Reaction score
Hello,

I think I had the exact same thing happen to me today!

I am wondering how hard this was to fix, if in fact it was the boost hose? Is it a dealer-only part or something that a local mechanic could probably resolve?

Please, if you can, provide some more details on how to fix this because it sounds exactly like what happened to me.

Thanks!

- Greg

devnul

Reaction score
Hello,

I looked at this closer and the hoses were not too hard to get to, and in fact this is exactly what happened to me - the one coming from the turbo outlet to the intercooler has a gash in it.

.. but, I noticed that there was some oil inside this hose too... And I have had what I consider to be "excessive" smoke when accelerating... Could this be an indication that my turbo is going bad or is a little oil in this region considered normal?

Thanks!

- Greg

moto-scoot

Reaction score
get a can of brake cleen
go to walmart & get some gorilla tape
my taped hose has close to 600 miles on it
4" split right before throttle body
my new hose is laying in the back waiting for me to put it on.