CRD Loosing power and Blowing smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Troy Woolley

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a KJ 2.8 CRD and its loosing power. It sounds like it is purging boost and under heavy load it looses all power and blows enough black smoke to hide the car behind me. I have already replaced the pipes after the turbo with no change please help

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black smoke and low power is usually the boost hoses blown.

I had it once when the MAP Sensor connector came unplugged on my 2002 Export CRD with fixed-vane turbo.:confused:

May be some issue with the variable-vane turbo on your Jeep!:(

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
There's a turbo vacuum modulator (id parts #OM612 $87.) that can go bad. It's located on the passenger side near the hood hinge. Check on the LOSTjeeps forum for test methods.

Also, check for a hole in the bottom of the air intake hose near the turbo. The one that comes from the airbox. Oily EGR fumes cause rot there.

Last edited:

John Dycus

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a KJ 2.8 CRD and its loosing power. It sounds like it is purging boost and under heavy load it looses all power and blows enough black smoke to hide the car behind me. I have already replaced the pipes after the turbo with no change please help
I have a 2005 CRD with the same issue. Both intercooler hoses are good. Can't seem to find any hoses with cracks, holes or that have come off. Both intercooler hoses were coated insode with lots of oil. Not sure if that is normal or not. Jeep has very little power. Nothing leaking on the ground.

Attachments

• Jeep pic.jpg
    Jeep pic.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 1

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you cleaned/replaced the MAP sensor?;)

This is a Bosch part that sits on top of the Intake Manifold aiming downwards, held on by a single Allen Bolt.

If you are signed onto the Lostjeeps Forum there is a SAMS NOOB Guide at the beginning of the Forum that shows you nice pictures of the CRD engine and shows you where the MAP Sensor sits and how to clean it...this is a very delicate component and should not be brushed or cleaned in any strange fluids....they advise cleaning it out with Brake Cleaner Spray which is what I use on my 2002 Export CRD.

This MAP sensor gets gunged up especially if you are using dirty Diesel....I only use 10 ppm diesel but every few months I get black smoke out the exhaust and know that it is time to clean the MAP Sensor!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I have a 2005 CRD with the same issue. Both intercooler hoses are good. Can't seem to find any hoses with cracks, holes or that have come off. Both intercooler hoses were coated insode with lots of oil. Not sure if that is normal or not. Jeep has very little power. Nothing leaking on the ground.
The oil inside the intercooler hoses is normalish, a byproduct of poor design. A Provent air/oil seperator can help a lot. Sasquatch makes a CRD specific kit to mount it.

John Dycus

Reaction score
Thanks. Going to clean the mass airflow sensor now. One more thing...
With the engine off I disconnected the mass air sensor. started the jeep right up. no problem starting and idling. with it running I plugged it back in. Nothing happened. I expected it to die when I plugged it back in. While still running I unplugged it thinking it would die. nothing happened. So basically plugging it in or unplugging it made no difference. Shouldn't it have died when I unplugged it or plugged it back in?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the MAF sensor the same thing as a MAP sensor?

The MAP sensor I am refering to is on the top of the engine under a whole bunch of wires...held on by a single large Allen Bolt...usually a Bosch component.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The MAP sensor is on top of the engine over the intake cam and near the firewall. They get incredibly crusty, much like the entire inside of the manifold. The MAF is on the airbox if I'm remembering right.

John Dycus

Reaction score
Cleaned them. No change. Had it towed to the repair shop today so I should know something soon.

Latest posts

Members online