Subwoofer Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArmyKJ

Reaction score
I have seen before that members have done one or two under the driver and passanger seats. I am thinking about under the rear seats fililng the entire area.

I am not the smartest when it comes to this but have found subwoofers such as free air subwoofers like this one from Kicker
You must be registered for see images

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2060CVT654/Kicker-10CVT654.html?tp=111

Or a shallow mount or flat mount like those comparable to those made by JL audio
You must be registered for see images

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_13613TW53/JL-Audio-13TW5-3.html?tp=111

Has anyone had expirence with these types of subwoofers mixed reviews on both types.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd also be interested in hearing any opinions. I'd like to put one or two under my rear seats but I haven't heard much at all about the flat style subs.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
At $500 a piece I would rather sacrifice my cargo space. I spent $350 on my set including Amp, Wiring, Sub, Box and it sound damn good, plus it wasn't even that big to take up so much space. Kickers, I would do a lot of research on them... You also have to fabricate a box.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At $500 a piece I would rather sacrifice my cargo space. I spent $350 on my set including Amp, Wiring, Sub, Box and it sound damn good, plus it wasn't even that big to take up so much space. Kickers, I would do a lot of research on them... You also have to fabricate a box.

Agreed - I came up with an easy and quick solution to remove the sub box in about 10 seconds so I have all my cargo space back. Nice 10" kappa perfect in a .6 cu ft sealed box tucks behind the diver's side rear seat neatly. It's not "boomy" - it has nice tight bass, which is what I wanted.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's same for me, I can remove my sub box in 10 seconds, even less if I unscrew the leads from back of the box any faster. Then I just slide negative lead under the carpet and keep positive on top, nothing will short it, amp remains on. This is the reason why I always recommend mounting the amp onto back of the rear seats or under seats, or somewhere else, so you can easily remove the sub by disconnecting speaker wire. If one is too concerned, then they can turn off the amp from the head unit (if it allows).
Imagine if the amp was mounted on the sub? Yeah, I want 12v bare lead on my cargo space :)

Quiksilver21

Reaction score
Agreed with these posts

i originally had a big ported box in my cargo area but it makes a very boomy sound in the big open cabin, so now i have a very small box - just big enough - bass is nice and punchy now.

ArmyKJ

Reaction score
So in rethinking position of the sub...and amps and things. A thin mount sub while expensive yes is worth the space saving as I have lots of plans for the under side of my All J Products Rack...The mount and box depth of most of the speakers is only 5 to 6 inches...i am also plaining on puting onboard air with a 2 1/2 gallon tank inside or high underneath have to work that out....next a custom toolbox that will fit between the sub and refrigerator cooler. I am looking into a local welder and box maker my plan is to have the tool box made of alum for toughness and corrosion resistance....lots of plans for the rear to make it the best usable space and still keep room for four when i put the bikes on the back and head up the mountain.

MLTouch

Reaction score
So in rethinking position of the sub...and amps and things. A thin mount sub while expensive yes is worth the space saving as I have lots of plans for the under side of my All J Products Rack...The mount and box depth of most of the speakers is only 5 to 6 inches...i am also plaining on puting onboard air with a 2 1/2 gallon tank inside or high underneath have to work that out....next a custom toolbox that will fit between the sub and refrigerator cooler. I am looking into a local welder and box maker my plan is to have the tool box made of alum for toughness and corrosion resistance....lots of plans for the rear to make it the best usable space and still keep room for four when i put the bikes on the back and head up the mountain.

Hey before you decide check out the Infinity Basslink. Friend has one in his Liberty and sounds Great! Thinking about installing one myself.

ceanern

Reaction score
that kicker sub looks like the compvr which if it is they are one hella nice sub! . I'm at the same cross road I have a setup from my car i use to have and i wanna use it but I don't wanna sacrafic what little space i have in the rear. I'm almost thinking of just getting a good component setup with the 6" subs for the doors or where applicable being I have yet to research my options for the vehicles sound system. That is more of a rear burner subject for me at this time. I wanna get it lifted different tires, front d - ring setup and a rear hitch setup. I have all the stuff for a sound system just i guess growing out of it. the system my jeep has sounds pretty good all around. cause it has the tweeters in the dash.