Sub woofer problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 10" sub and I'm having trouble figuring out where to put it.

Ideally I would like to install in the middle of the rear gate, but I took a look at it today and realized it'd be much more labor intensive than I originally thought.

So now I'm going to build my own sealed box but I need to make it as small as possible because i have two dogs that use the rear space all the time.

well i guess I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion that i haven't thought of yet.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my setup:

Switch I installed on the remote turn on wire to kill the amp (you'll see why later)
You must be registered for see images attach

Small Lanzar amp under rear driver's side seat

.6 cu ft sealed box with a 10" Kappa Perfect in it

Hook I made to hold it in place:

Hook part 2

Velcro attached to bottom:

Reason I did this? I can flip the switch and kill the amp completely. This allows me to remove the sub box and not worry about wires shorting out - I simply pull them from the spring clips on the box. Plus, I can easily switch right back to the OEM stereo for those early mornings where I don't want bass. The box is held just by that hook and the velcro, and trust me, it stays right where it is. I can literally have that box out of my KJ in about 10 seconds. Also, I can easily fold the seat down and move the box up behind the front seat in the event that I am out somewhere (store or something) and unexpectedly need cargo room.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Heh, I JUST bought a switch from Pep Boys for that exact reason. ;)

I'm gonna have to steal your velcro idea too. Mine has been sliding around like mad lately. Sorry Kevin. :)

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
what'd you put the switch on? the remote wire?
my amp has an adjustment knob i installed under my dash and it has an off feature built in

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My H/U has the adjustment built in since I used sub pre-amps, I can control the sub right on the H/U. I just can't think of any other way to have a subwoofer, either on or off could just not do it for me.

sconroy325

Reaction score
If you are any good with fiberglass you could try and do something like this

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1410

Also, I know you already have the 10, but I am pretty sure that if you can find a thin enough 8" that you could do some kind of mold under the rear seat on the drivers side...

If you van find something thin, you should even still be able to drop the seat down without having to worry about damage..

Hope this helps!

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually ended up building a down fire box. At first I thought it would be too muffled but to be honest it only makes a slight difference. I wish I could do fiber glass because that JL Audio box is what I really wanted. Kind wish I had seen it before I built my box.

Oh well it sounds great though. I can't do the kill switch because my amp also runs my door speakers. thanks for the idead guys.