Sub connect to factory stereo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 Liberty, 3.7L. Is there a "simple" way to connect an amp and sub to the factory radio without having to install an aftermarket stereo?
I did some searches, but it seems everyone shows what subs they have or what head unit, so I didn't know if there was a way to connect that stuff to what was already there.
Thanks!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, you'd just need to find a line-level converter. Converts speaker-level inputs to RCA.

Or, you could get an amp with speaker level inputs and run them in directly.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you can get a Mopar subwoofer which is great, doesn't take a lot of space and is real easy to connect.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max, we are still waiting for more pictures of your jeep... Anytime soon?

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
You can buy an adapter like this....
picture.php

You just have to splice the wires into the back of your factory radio to the wires that power your door speakers. Then run the RCA cables from that adapter to the amp. I'm actually trying to sell this one on craigslist. I bought it for my kj before I put my stereo in it. If you want I would be more than happy to mail you this one, I paid $25 for it new about 6 months ago and used for about a month. I'm trying to sell it for $15 I figure I could ship it to for around $5 so if you're interested PM me and we can work out a deal.

Last edited:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you aren't after huge boom-boom that makes the neighbors mad, I would go with the Mopar Sub. It's the easiest to install and simply goes under the driver seat. No loss of cargo space, no door trim removal and no splicing of wires.

I've had mine for many, many years and enjoy it a lot.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get an amp that accepts speaker level inputs. I put my amp under the driver seat, and spliced into the rear driver side speaker wire for connection to the amp. If you do this, you don't need to run the giganto power cable too far...just through that little hole in the firewall under the dash (remove plastic plug). BTW, the amp stays still...dont' need to mount it... they're heavy.

Scooba Steve

Reaction score
If you aren't after huge boom-boom that makes the neighbors mad, I would go with the Mopar Sub. It's the easiest to install and simply goes under the driver seat. No loss of cargo space, no door trim removal and no splicing of wires.

I've had mine for many, many years and enjoy it a lot.

How was the install on the Mopar sub?

How does it sound? Does the sub bass have nice definition or is it more muddy sounding?

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, that helps some. I've installed amps and subs in other cars before, but they have had an aftermarket head unit so it had different plus for the speakers and amp, and control wire for amp. Blue_kj, if I use an adapter like that, how does it work...I splice the existing speaker wires from the radio into that and then the rca goes into an amp...but where does a sub plug in? Can a sub sound good if it's run off the stock speaker wires or does it need its own power source and all that?

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after reading another forum, the mopar sub comes with it's own harness that will fit into the radio and stock harness, right?

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
okay, that helps some. I've installed amps and subs in other cars before, but they have had an aftermarket head unit so it had different plus for the speakers and amp, and control wire for amp. Blue_kj, if I use an adapter like that, how does it work...I splice the existing speaker wires from the radio into that and then the rca goes into an amp...but where does a sub plug in? Can a sub sound good if it's run off the stock speaker wires or does it need its own power source and all that?

you splice in to the wires, then run the rca's to an amp then run the sub to the amp thats what supplies the power to the sub

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhh, okay, do you still need to run a power wire to the battery like any other sub/amp connection?

and to do this i'd need to remove the factory radio to get to the speaker wires, right? I'm just trying to see how much i have to take apart...for some reason i always have trouble getting things back together like they were before lol

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhh, okay, do you still need to run a power wire to the battery like any other sub/amp connection?

and to do this i'd need to remove the factory radio to get to the speaker wires, right? I'm just trying to see how much i have to take apart...for some reason i always have trouble getting things back together like they were before lol

You connect to the lighter inlet in the dash (not outside) as the power source.
You'll have to unscrew the driver's seat and take the stereo and it's trim out.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score

yeah you'll have to slide the stock radio out and connect the adapter then yes you'll have to run a standard wiring kit to the amp power from the battery, ground, and rca's, and the remote wire

Scooba Steve

Reaction score
Do any of you guys with the Mopar sub know if a high pass filter for the door speakers activates when it is connected to the stock head unit?