Stupid Stereo Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viperp2pt0

Reaction score
Hey, I have a question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but there is always that glimmer of hope somewhere. If I get an aftermarket radio for my 2002 kj, I'm going to lose all use of my steering wheel controls huh? I tried searching around but didn't find the answer anywhere.

jholmes

Reaction score
yes, and no.

check crutchfield.. they may have an adaptor so you can still use the wheel controls.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is adaptors you can buy for certain HUs. I'll be getting one tonight.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
those aftermarket steering wheel adapters are useful if you want to have an eye pointing to the HU. The way they work is, you wire up an IR transmitter to somewhere it can see the HU (line of sight) then wire it (tap it) to the cables coming out of your steering wheel controls and the functions are limited (usually similar to stock setup) what I would look for if I were you, a HU with wired remote control input, then get wired set up instead of IR transmitter set up where you would have wires all over the place or drill a hole on your center console..

I checked the installation of one of those, it is a hassle......

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the PAC adapter since I have a pioneer cd player. I drilled a hole in the side of my steering column cover and stuck it through that. Works just fine. O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
PAC also makes wired controller interface.
Blake, when you wired it up, did you have to access the starter cylinder and cut wires there or did you just tap to them in the harness?
Once I saw what's involved with installation, I gave up on it.