stupid part time sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why is it that the sensor for the transfercase is a piece of crap? i have an 03, with the 231? transfer case, it is the hand selected one, I guess there is another.

anyhow, every year, winter, my sensor goes bad, the transfer case is in 2hi but the part time light is on, if you raise the lever to the actual part time position, guess what, the light goes away!

every damn year, it usually ends up correcting itself, just annoying.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't even drive it, so I could care less. I just cant get over that is always happens at this time of year. and I am not the only one with the issue, its all over the net people trying to figure out if something is broken

Reaction score
my part time light doesnt come on anymore but it goes into 4wd. my 4lo light wont come one either

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't even drive it, so I could care less. I just cant get over that is always happens at this time of year. and I am not the only one with the issue, its all over the net people trying to figure out if something is broken

My guess is it's a temperature thing. Colder temps must be shorting out a couple of contacts which are (must be) very close together. As the weather gets colder, the gap shortens and causes the sensor to show 'on' when it's not? Strange.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why is it that the sensor for the transfercase is a piece of crap? i have an 03, with the 231? transfer case, it is the hand selected one, I guess there is another.

anyhow, every year, winter, my sensor goes bad, the transfer case is in 2hi but the part time light is on, if you raise the lever to the actual part time position, guess what, the light goes away!

every damn year, it usually ends up correcting itself, just annoying.
Your lack of 4wd use for almost a year is the main problem.Go out at least once a month and engage 4wd on a gravel road and drive around for a few mins to keep your t-case and all the parts from seizing from being un-used for so long.

You want that light/sensor to work since it controls more then just that light in the dash.

SilverRenegade

Reaction score
I had that same problem with my kj a couple of months ago, I got it fixed with the dealership, down here in Mexico it was a bit expensive for what it was (that sensor you're talking about) but as tjkj2002 said, I thought it may do something else...so I fixed it right away!! For me the problem started with a rainy day so I thought it was caused by that, because we had a lot of rain that day and it got stuck in the streets, I don't know if this can also cause this problem??

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your lack of 4wd use for almost a year is the main problem.Go out at least once a month and engage 4wd on a gravel road and drive around for a few mins to keep your t-case and all the parts from seizing from being un-used for so long.

You want that light/sensor to work since it controls more then just that light in the dash.

i do that, never have issues. I drained and refilled tcase not long ago, its smooth, the shifter is smooth, its the sensor that goes haywire in the fall/winter. I agree it has something to do with cold temps

what else does the sensor control? the tcase is direct linkage, so isnt the sensor just something that controls the light?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It changes some paramters in the engines PCM to give as much torque as it can at lower rpms. It also changes things with the ABS if you have that..

Wonder if the sensor could be taken apart and cleaned?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder how the parameters are really effected in part time 4hi mode, which is what the computer must be thinking, even as the vehicle speeds down the highway in 2hi.

I am going to try and get under the thing and pull the sensor, its a pain to get to, sorta blind unless you have the thing way up in the air.