Stupid oil filter question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRASMAN

Reaction score
I have changed oil in countless vehicles countless times. However I have never tried to change just the filter with out draining the crank case first and changing the oil. Can you just change the filter or will all your oil come out when you take the filter off? It is a stupid question whith an obvious answere I know but have never tried.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It a good idea to wait until the engine cool down (oil drains back into the pan) to remove the oil filter. Add about 1/2 qt of oil into the filter and top off as needed.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2. If your oil is dirty enough to warrant a filter change, it's probably time for new oil anyway... right?

BRASMAN

Reaction score
Maybe he is using a higher interval oil, like Amsoil, and needs a filter change before a oil change.

That was my thought any way. I may not ever do it but wanted to know.

My Dad works in a plant where they did a test on a machine and they ran it for 10yrs on the same oil and switched filters with a by pass thing while the machine kept running. After ten years the oil did start to break down but was very clean. NO I am not going to drive my Liberty for ten years without changing the oil.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can change out just the filter with no problems. I find it best to fill the oil filter up with oil then let it sit for awhile. It will soak all the oil up and not spill back out this way. It will also reduce the amount of time that the engine is without oil(while the filter fills up)