Strut/Shock Recommendations ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Liberty Latitude w/7000 miles and 18" wheels.

The front struts are totally shot after 7,000 easy highway miles. The truck has always handled very poorly from brand new. The front end has had a vibration not too long after we bought it. Advised from everyone was the tires were out of round so we swapped them out. Well we are now on our 3rd set of tires (including the OEM POS donuts).

Knowing that dealing with the dealer and trying to get them to replace the struts was a losing battle, we didn't waste our time.

So now it's time to change out these POS struts and shocks.

I've seen Bilsteins going for around $320 Shipped.

What do you'all recommend ? Just want a better ride and safe handling over stock.

CRAB STEAMER

Reaction score
Go over the dealers head and file a complaint with the company. I had to once on a Ford Excursion and the dealer was happy to correct my problem.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go over the dealers head and file a complaint with the company. I had to once on a Ford Excursion and the dealer was happy to correct my problem.

That's what I'd do....but be very polite

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did take it in to the dealership a few weeks ago. I pointed out the difference in front end height between our Liberty and a couple used ones out on their lot.

The actually agreed the front struts were shot and replaced them at no charge.

It rides/handles much better now but still overall handles like a big fat pig.

Not happy at all with the handling.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As has been mentioned 1000s of times before
The stock springs are weak and the stock shocks are junk from the get go
Better aftermarket springs and shocks are the only real option to a better ride and better handling
Of all the new vehicles I have ever bought in the last 40 plus years that I didn't upgrade the suspension on was a special Roush prepped Ford F150 I bought in 1998. Springs/shocks/exhaust/engine all had upgrades. My KJ made it to 20,000 miles but that was only due to winter and no where to work at the time.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I did take it in to the dealership a few weeks ago. I pointed out the difference in front end height between our Liberty and a couple used ones out on their lot.

The actually agreed the front struts were shot and replaced them at no charge.

It rides/handles much better now but still overall handles like a big fat pig.

Not happy at all with the handling.

Shocks do not set height, only springs do shocks control the springs from bouncing so while you got new shocks the weak springs will cause the shocks to go once again by the wayside rather quickly