Strange sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gavinjan

Reaction score
My 2006 liberty is making a strange wining sound. The noise doesnt increase with engine speeds so its not apart of the belt system or drivetrain. The noise is more distinct when slowing down and when there is more pressure on the engine. I originally thought the noise was in the dash but it could be making its way through into the cabin. Sounds likes its coming from the drivers side near the firewall. It could be a possible lubrication problem because when I wash my car the sound stops until the water evaporates. Here is a video i made trying to capture the sound
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Cis0dscas
Anything helps thanks

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First... what is the code(s) for that check engine light?!
Next. Check the front driveshaft rear CV Tcase side.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 liberty is making a strange wining sound. The noise doesnt increase with engine speeds so its not apart of the belt system or drivetrain. The noise is more distinct when slowing down and when there is more pressure on the engine. I originally thought the noise was in the dash but it could be making its way through into the cabin. Sounds likes its coming from the drivers side near the firewall. It could be a possible lubrication problem because when I wash my car the sound stops until the water evaporates. Here is a video i made trying to capture the sound

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Cis0dscas

Anything helps thanks

Can you take another video please? Hood up rev it up drive it down and be real quiet. I wanna give my input but I can hardly hear it. I wanna say it sounds like a wheel bearing but that doesn't make sense if it stops when wet. As far as the check engine light (CEL) that could be related to something else other than the noise. Again, not sure. It is a 3.7 right? So if you could please re record it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be your brakes. Jack up the front wheels and give them a twirl.

With no more information than we've been given, I'd look here also. But if brake noise, it should change with different application pressure, or even when you're on or off the brake.

Bob