Strange sound from rear wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ Ebster

Reaction score
Hi there
A few months back i had my rear brakes repalced at Midas. They did a great job and I was very happy.
Recently howevere I notice a few unsual sounds:

1) When I start up in the mornings and reverse out of the driveway, the rear of my Jeep makes a squeaking/creaking sound. It's almost as if the rear brakes did not fully disengage from the wheel. The soudn stops once I start moving forward and does not return until the next morning.
2) When I stop and turn off the ignition, I hear a slow swooshing sound coming from the rear wheels. The soudn dies down after a few seconds. It sounds as if air pressure is being released.

Has anyone experienced this before? Do you think it has to do with the replaced rear brakes?
Could I take it back to Midas and ask them to check it out for me?

Please help.

Thanks
E

2003KJ

Reaction score
The rear brake moan is very normal on the KJ's with rear disc brakes.....there was a "fix" that chrysler did for it (new pads and rotors I believe) but i've heard that they start to do the same thing.....i'm unsure however as to what brand parts Midas uses.

As for the swooshing....vacuum leak somewhere? Got a small hole in your brake fluid line?

rdonn

Reaction score
1) This problem I've had before with several vehicles. I was told that when it sits overnight there is a light film of surface rust that forms on the rotors and the pads if they are metallic. This is normal and harmless. I have found the ceramic pads to be of some help.
2) I agree with 2003KJ: It sounds like a vacuum leak.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been driving for 900 miles with my 2007 without rear moan, then I've washed the KJ and now I have the moan...it's definitely a film on the disks!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad you asked this - I went off-roading on Sunday, and both yesterday and this morning I got the rear brake moan for about the first 5 mins that I drive in the morning. After each brake application and subsequent acceleration, it'll moan. It'll then go away. I was afraid I did damage.

Seems as if my KJ feels like I do in the morning heading to the office, I moan and groan a lot too. ;)

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight I've seen why it moans after beeing washed...the disks (together with control arms and other parts) are covered with a rusty film !!!:eek:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rust is normal.. Thats due to the type and amount of steel and iron in the rotors.

All rotors rust but do not moan. Its just the type of pads they use. Ceramic or organic Im going to guess.

eko

Reaction score
WHAT amount of steering wheel "shimmy" decides whether to replace or "machine" rotors ? --- rotors were machined at 50k miles & now it's 67k.

AND, if it's time to "replace"--what do you think is the best BRAND/ type rotor for an '02 KJ sport w/ mostly Highway /pavement driving & occasional sand & rock off-road use.

Latest posts

Members online