Strange noises...and idling rough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So someone from my team at work came up to me tonight and mentioned she was hearing a strange noise when turning to the right. She has an '05 KJ Limited, and she said it comes and goes. She was afraid to drive it and so her friend who knows about cars drove it around for about a half hour and didn't hear any noise, but found some type of plastic underneath the passenger side, and thought maybe that's what it was. She said it's been under there a while but she'd never bothered to take it out, but that it had never made the noise in the past. Again, she only notices it when turning to the right. I haven't seen it myself, I have no idea what she meant by something plastic underneath it, but I just thought maybe I'd throw this out there and get some ideas for her. She thought maybe ball joints, but I didn't think so, but who knows?

Also, any reason my KJ might be idling a bit rough? Fluid levels are fine, just changed the spark plugs, and the battery is practically brand new. Just kind of noticeable now that I've got the new muffler on--aka I can hear it now which I may not have been able to really hear it as much if it did it with the stock muffler on. Any ideas?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are talking about plastic and it does it when she turns it sounds like something may be rubbing in the fender well. Need to find out what plastic shes talking about.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 05 KJ someone needs to get under there and see what hanging plastic they are talking about. Shouldn't be any hanging plastic.

On yours need more info. You just changed the plugs and nothing elce? It should run noticably smoother with a plug change. It just idles rough and otherwise ok? No CEL or codes? What kind of plugs did you put in? All the coil pac connections are tight? Maybe you just got some bad gas or one of the new plugs was bad. It happens. If you got a misfire I would think you should have your MIL lit up.

Dave

Last edited:

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It idled the same way before I changed the plugs--just sort of put-putting, if you will. I'm not sure of the brand, I just know i got them from Advance Auto. Something that's name began with a B, I think? It doesn't act like it's going to stall or anything, just that the actual idling sound is not as smooth as it was when I first got it. And I don't think it's the gas because it's done it for a while now. Nothing on the dash has lit up at all, and the engine seems to be running fine. No strange noises and no clunking or lurching like it would be doing if there was a misfire. I'll see if maybe I can get a video of it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It idled the same way before I changed the plugs--just sort of put-putting, if you will. I'm not sure of the brand, I just know i got them from Advance Auto. Something that's name began with a B, I think? It doesn't act like it's going to stall or anything, just that the actual idling sound is not as smooth as it was when I first got it. And I don't think it's the gas because it's done it for a while now. Nothing on the dash has lit up at all, and the engine seems to be running fine. No strange noises and no clunking or lurching like it would be doing if there was a misfire. I'll see if maybe I can get a video of it.

Then is your idle rpm too low.....should be around 650rpm on your tach.

A dirty throttle could cause that also.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use seafoam right after the plugs were changed (she said she just changed them) as you might need to change them again.

Run a bottle of "Techron Fuel System Cleaner" through it maybe.

Dave

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't use seafoam right after the plugs were changed (she said she just changed them) as you might need to change them again.

Oops - you're right. I neglected to read that part. :eek:

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're having a random, uneven idle like this:

Rrrrrrrrrrrr <phut> rrrrrrrrrrrrr <phut phut> rrrrrrr <phut> rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr <phut>

I'd check for a loose or disconnected vacuum hose.

(Yeah I know it looks funny but how the heck else was I going to write it?)

Andy

Chris9296

Reaction score
and why would you need to replace the plugs after using seafoam in your fuel? Can't see it creating that much of a problem. I changed my plugs not too long ago and have used seafoam since. havent had any issues. Like to use it when i go on a road trip. Great product and seem to get better mileage while using it.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could also try cleaning the MAF sensor. sometimes that will make a dramatic improvement.