Stock Wrangler ST's versus Snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will be my first winter with my 2005 Renegade. I have the stock ST's which still have a lot of tread left. I have heard a lot of bad things about them. I can attest to the fact that they aren't great in the rain. How bad are they in snow? I'm not talking about 24" or so. I'm interested in how they are in 2-4" of snow and/or ice in 4wd. Seeing that I am out of work, I really don't want to purchase a new set of tires until next year.
Thanks,
Bruce

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that they were scary on packed snow/ice. Even when I dropped the pressure down.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they are scary in less than perfect conditions... In the rain, scary, on slick gravel roads, scary, on anything but dry pavement, scary... I did whatever i could to raise the money for new tires before winter, didn't want to find out how bad they were going to be under those conditions.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie would not drive anything equipped with those tires in any inclement weather whatsoever.

The thought of piloting something with those things on it in snow scares him

BUY MAN TIRES

Quicksilversurf917

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just go over to tirerack.com and look at some AT's, they have really good prices, my destinations did amazingly in 2-8in of snow and even some packed snow. I never had a problem with them. Plus they are good priced!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As far as price, get a set of Destinations, or Kuhomo Road Venture AT's.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought they were good slush and snow tires. The colder it got, the better they seemed. You'll be fine.

I also did think they were very poor in rain (wet) pavement, but I wasn't willing to replace them with good tread. I think I got 78,000 miles out of them, and they still had good tread, but the shoulders were getting pretty worn because I was having problems keeping the air pressures up.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
You can live with them. My sis-in-law drove her's here for 4 winters on the ST's. Neither they nor the SR-A's are great tires, but they were good enough that Goodyear & Daimler knew that wouldn't get there butts sued off for usuing them.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andynator / Incommando,
Thanks for your input. I think what I'll do is try them this winter, but have a backup plan in case they seem dangerous to me.
Thanks again,
Bruce