Stock radio have REM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATP

Reaction score
Does a stock radio on a 2002 Liberty have a REM hook up for an amplifier, so I could hook up these subs I've had laying around? If not is there an alternative without replacing the radio?

Thanks!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You'll have to do what many of us have done... make sure your amplifier has Speaker Level Inputs or buy a special box which allows the use of it.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radio in my 2006 did have a remote out. Rather than using a LOC which uses horrible transformers which have no business in audio, spend the money on a "forward" and "reverse" harness so you can make a "T" and crimp RCA cables right to the harness. These harnesses will cost about the same as a decent LOC. Everything is "plug and play", all you need to do is match the colors (no cutting of the factory harness required).
Then you need to buy an amp with balanced differential inputs and plug them in....done. The only amps I know of with these inputs are from JL (all except e series). JL also offers RCA cables with speaker wires on one side and a RCA connector on the other. It makes the crimping job easier.

I did the above and used a 500/5 from JL Audio.

Last edited:

ATP

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. I will most likely just wait until I get my Blazer legally able to drive, and then throw a aftermarket head unit in there. The stock radio does ***** in my opinion anyways haha, CD player is not that great and it does not get loud enough, and if it does it blows the stock speakers. If I were going to put the subs in, I'd redo the whole system, and it's my moms car not mine.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude...seriously, CD's are so 1996.

I use the factory head only for the volume knob. I've connected Sirius and iPhone though the Aux input behind the radio (as well as my video system). You could spend more money on an aftermarket deck that offers iPod and Sirius control, but why?

I will admit that an aftermarket deck has sexy lights and dancing dolphins that the stocker can't hope to compete with.

Embrace the iPod, if you like music, it's a lot slicker than a CD.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude...seriously, CD's are so 1996.

I use the factory head only for the volume knob. I've connected Sirius and iPhone though the Aux input behind the radio (as well as my video system). You could spend more money on an aftermarket deck that offers iPod and Sirius control, but why?

I will admit that an aftermarket deck has sexy lights and dancing dolphins that the stocker can't hope to compete with.

Embrace the iPod, if you like music, it's a lot slicker than a CD.

You are a bit mistaken. Standard CD's are 1996, today it's the MP3 CD. Nothing like 100 times the music. An aftermarket MP3 deck with front, rear and sub AUX outputs coupled with a decent set of speakers is so much better than anything stock.

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rem

I have an REM CD in my stereo. It's Murmur... from like 1983. Does that count? Oddly I have it on cassette, too. Good thing the factory '02 stereo has a tape player. Damn. I'm getting old, but I got tunes. :)
________
OREGON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited:

ATP

Reaction score
I have an REM CD in my stereo. It's Murmur... from like 1983. Does that count? Oddly I have it on cassette, too. Good thing the factory '02 stereo has a tape player. Damn. I'm getting old, but I got tunes. :)

My 02 stereo does not have a cassette player, damn. I'd pop in my Falco tape, and I'm not even old, I'm 17!