Stock Intake Pipe V6 Liberty to V6 Dodge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, at part throttle the engine has these "dips" of torque, the resonator is designed by the vehicle manufacturer to fill these dips in by having a supercharger effect (using resonance to pump air into the engine).

I'm with ya on everything but this. I HAVE TOLD (no written proof) these chambers are for the purpose of quieting intake noise. I never understood how it would silence intake noise but it does seem to interfere with smooth flow. All aftermarket applications are without these chambers. I've never noticed any negative effects on my other 2 vehicles.
________
Yamaha psr-500m history

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
well since you say that it is impossible for my MPG gains, and seemingly peppier feeling on the highway, how do you explain my increases? and no my driving style did not change and never has.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well since you say that it is impossible for my MPG gains, and seemingly peppier feeling on the highway, how do you explain my increases? and no my driving style did not change and never has.
Have you used a different brand of petrol? Most stations use E-10 (10% ethanol, 90% petrol), E-10 will provide cleaner emissions but will also reduce power and fuel economy (less energy per drop). If you filled up with petrol containing 0% ethanol than that may be the cause of the peppier feeling and better fuel economy.

As a side note, I have read about a few 4.0 owners that have had pistons melt and catalytic converters damaged by filling up at stations that advertised 10% ethanol. Fuel tests had indicated ethanol content to be in excess of 30%

I'm with ya on everything but this. I HAVE TOLD (no written proof) these chambers are for the purpose of quieting intake noise. I never understood how it would silence intake noise but it does seem to interfere with smooth flow. All aftermarket applications are without these chambers. I've never noticed any negative effects on my other 2 vehicles.

The resonator creates a 'resonance effect' that is the equivalent of a mild supercharger. Simply put, this is a similar principle behind the resonance/tuned scavenging effect that performance exhaust headers deliver. This effect actually increases low end torque while exceeding the performance of CAIs. Additionally, due to the "muffling" effect it has on engine noise, various sport luxury sedans/SUVs now employ this feature.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The resonator creates a 'resonance effect' that is the equivalent of a mild supercharger. Simply put, this is a similar principle behind the resonance/tuned scavenging effect that performance exhaust headers deliver. This effect actually increases low end torque while exceeding the performance of CAIs. Additionally, due to the "muffling" effect it has on engine noise, various sport luxury sedans/SUVs now employ this feature.

Why are ALL aftermarket systems deleteing this resonator. Even high end models. I have Vilant with ram air on my truch with smooth tubing.

Can u direct me to technical info on this subject. thx.
________
Redhead girl live

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you one thing regarding this resonator crap and another vehicle made by DC, and that's that it does make a difference for the better to remove it.

On our 2002 PT i removed the silencer in the airbox, looks like a horn shaped piece of white PVC plastic, it increased the performance enough to feel it, better takeoff, better acceleration. And guys on the PT forums have actually dyno'd a car with and without it, there is an increase in horsepower, not much, but there is. As for torque, not that big of a change for the good, but definitely not a change for the bad either. I would have to bop over there and get the actual before and after numbers, but the seat dyno says its good. (seat dyno = seat of the pants!)

There is an increase in air noise through the airbox, it whistles or whines a bit more, and the exhaust note is a bit deeper as well.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are ALL aftermarket systems deleteing this resonator. Even high end models. I have Vilant with ram air on my truch with smooth tubing.

Can u direct me to technical info on this subject. thx.

I had a link stored in my bookmarks but my computer crashed so I lost it..

I can tell you one thing regarding this resonator crap and another vehicle made by DC, and that's that it does make a difference for the better to remove it.

On our 2002 PT i removed the silencer in the airbox, looks like a horn shaped piece of white PVC plastic, it increased the performance enough to feel it, better takeoff, better acceleration. And guys on the PT forums have actually dyno'd a car with and without it, there is an increase in horsepower, not much, but there is. As for torque, not that big of a change for the good, but definitely not a change for the bad either. I would have to bop over there and get the actual before and after numbers, but the seat dyno says its good. (seat dyno = seat of the pants!)

There is an increase in air noise through the airbox, it whistles or whines a bit more, and the exhaust note is a bit deeper as well.

I don't think that's the resonator, some vehicles use a little trumpet shaped baffle to reduce engine noise. I do agree that removing it will improve performance.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a link stored in my bookmarks but my computer crashed so I lost it..

I don't think that's the resonator, some vehicles use a little trumpet shaped baffle to reduce engine noise. I do agree that removing it will improve performance.

The FSM calls it the intake airstream resonator...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So if "someone" thinks its so darn important and will decrease performance and mileage why did some years have it some not? Does that mean mine makes so much extra horsepower that the factory did not install that stupid looking thing and detuned mine?:rolleyes:

By the way I pulled my boots on, its getting deep in here

Last edited:

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FSM calls it the intake airstream resonator...

Well, KJs don't have any baffles. The resonator is hollow inside.

So if "someone" thinks its so darn important and will decrease performance and mileage why did some years have it some not? Does that mean mine makes so much extra horsepower that the factory did not install that stupid looking thing and detuned mine?

DC did it for the same reason they installed the 42RLE in latter KJs.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K. I'll bite. Why did later KJs (like my '06) get the 42RLE?

I assume the 42RLE is weaker than earlier models.

They started the 42RLE in the 03' production year, though some claim its March or April my February built 03' has the 42RLE. Seems they used the 45RFE in the 2002 model year as a hold over from other vehicles in production and then went with the cheaper 42RLE the next year? That's what i read other places anyway, who knows!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Have you used a different brand of petrol? Most stations use E-10 (10% ethanol, 90% petrol), E-10 will provide cleaner emissions but will also reduce power and fuel economy (less energy per drop). If you filled up with petrol containing 0% ethanol than that may be the cause of the peppier feeling and better fuel economy.

As a side note, I have read about a few 4.0 owners that have had pistons melt and catalytic converters damaged by filling up at stations that advertised 10% ethanol. Fuel tests had indicated ethanol content to be in excess of 30%

I use several brands of petrol. I do not have a dedicated "brand". I know several people who do though.

As it stands, I'm sorry, but my Jeep feels happier, gets better MPG, and hehe, as you said, is louder WITHOUT the resonator.

Sorry.

BTW: I've had that setup for the past 7000 miles, however, when I say "I just did it" I mean, like in the last few months. Not... last week or yesterday.

It's a recent mod is all.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well, if you don't want to listen than I'll be quiet :)

I get what you are saying, and I've read it all, and have absolutely NO hard feelings, but what you are saying definitely conflicts with my experiences, that's all. :) I have no reason to lie... even though this is a forum and that happens a lot, LOL!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
best setup ( after running 4 different ones in over 80,000 miles ) is the stock box , Amsoil filter and a 3 inch dryer vent hose out to the grill , only cool air entering :D

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that mean mine makes so much extra horsepower that the factory did not install that stupid looking thing and detuned mine?:rolleyes:

So it seems that I have one of them factory hot rod ringers like you. I have a smooth tube also.;)(attn)

This setup appears to be about as good as it gets as long as a good filter is used. I prefer Fram. As much as I hate/detest their oil filters I like the air filters. Maintains high flow while filtering better than K&N types.
________
Australian recipes

Last edited: