stinky air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sblanck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy

My wife has a wonderful 04 KJ (insert sarcasm)
She complains of severe exhaust stink coming into the vehicle on any setting A/C and Heat. I been looking through the forum and see there is no cabin filter.
Also found the thread on popping off the cowl under the hood. Need to know how I can fix this issue myself instead of taking it to the stealership.

Thanks

Sean

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a serious problem. If exhaust is making it into the cabin, it's extremely dangerous to drive (carbon monoxide.) It could be the result of a cracked exhaust manifold.

Other people on the site might know what to look at specifically, but if it was me, I'd take it to a qualified mechanic to get checked out ASAP.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya you would think if its getting sucked into the cabin air it would come from an outside source not the fitter its self.
Check under that hood I think someone posted this with a bad valve cove gasket but there could be many causes.

sblanck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This isnt a constant, it only happens when were at a light behind another vehicle. When were moving there is no smell.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be something you learn to live with. It sounds to me like the cabin air intake is sucking up the exhaust of the person in front of you. You could add a cabin filter, but that would just remove particulate and not the gasses themselves that cause most of the smell.

If you really want a permanent fix, you could always relocate the cabin intake higher or run tubing to a different area less likely to suck up exhaust.

Also, if you hit the "recycle air" button before you get to a light, you might be able to avoid this as well, as the air becomes recycled inside the cabin at that point.

Just some things to try...

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a "v-clamp" that holds the catalytic converters to the exhaust manifolds. If that clamp isn't tight or has failed the gasses will leak from the gap. On the driver's/left side the clamp is right below the cowl intake and will draw the exhaust right into the cabin.

I replaced my cats last Fall and bought a v-clamp from NAPA that didn't quite pull the cat to the manifold and I got the exhaust leak you describe. Got a replacement clamp from the dealer (for HALF what I paid at NAPA!) and that fixed it.

You may also have a leak in one or both of the cats or the junction between the cats and the Y-pipe. Take it to a Midas or other exhaust shop if you don't want to go to the dealer.

Bob

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Step 1. Go over your entire exhaust system with a good flashlight and maybe even a mirror to try to find signs of a leak.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For safety sake alone Please at least check it out and know she will be ok.
Not to be mean but I was also a medic and fleet manager in Det for over 13 yrs and man what I could tell you.

sblanck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on it I do not take my families safety lightly.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just put a smile on my face thank you
Just didnt think you schould have to live with it without checking it first.

Latest posts

Members online